Apr 15, 2013

foil packet fish


It’s not that I hate cooking, per say.  I just don’t necessarily enjoy it.  I was discussing a few recipes with my sister the other day, trying to steal some inspiration for the week.  Our conversation was pretty typical:

Eva: Well, I made pierogi the other night…
Me: Oh, I’ve made those before!
Eva: You have, really?  Cause they were kind of time consuming, and…
Me: Oh, well… I mean, I bought the pierogi, I guess.  Frozen.  But I made the other stuff that went with it…
Eva: Uh uh. ( I could hear her smirking, lovingly of course, over the phone)

In my defense, I have come a very long way in the almost five years I’ve been married.  And I do well when I have a recipe to follow.  I just prefer simple, quick recipes with a few fresh ingredients.  This foil packet fish recipe has become a fast favorite.  So far, I have only baked it in the oven, but now that the weather has started to warm up I'm looking forward to using it with the grill, too.


8 oz. brown rice
a few handfuls of fresh spinach
¼ large red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2-3 oz. crumbled feta cheese
4 white fish fillets, about 6-8 oz. each (I used tilapia)

For the compound butter:
4 tbsp. butter, softened
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. fresh dill, minced
½ tsp. lemon zest
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste

Cook the rice according to the package directions. Combine the spinach, onion, tomatoes, and feta in a large bowl. Gently mix the cooked rice into the bowl with the vegetables. 

Tear 4 large squares of foil, about 12-inches on each side. Spoon the rice mixture onto the lower half of each piece of foil.

Make the compound butter by combining the butter, garlic, dill, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper and mix until well combined. Spread a layer of the compound butter over each of the fish fillets. 

Place the fish over the rice mixture. Seal the foil packets by folding over the edges and crimp together. Bake at 425 degrees. Baking time will vary by size and type of fish used. The fish is done when it is opaque and flakes with a fork.

Recipe adapted from Annie's Eats.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the whole cooking thing...quick and easy are what we're into :) We eat a lot of casseroles so we have leftovers the next day.
    This fish recipe sounds great. I've done something similar, but not added the rice and veggies...I'll give this a try next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison,
    since I cook every day I like quick and healthy recipes :) Your fish recipe looks great and healthy too! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I must try this next time I buy fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison,

    I'm a crazy cook and baker. What more can I say? I am a food allergy mom! Though some of the ingredients aren't friendly to my kids, I'd love to try this one for me. It looks so easy and yummy too. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh that looks really tasty..... I am a terribly lazy cook, but think I could manage this. I live on a narrowboat, and am always looking for things to cook on my Squirrel stove....this looks ideal mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious, I think my boys might even eat it! Your blog is lovely by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...