May 2, 2013

a little sugar

I used to live on sweets and pasta.  That's all I wanted to eat, all the time.  So if there's one thing I know a lot about, it's sugar.  But I also know what it does to me.  About a year and a half ago, I decided to cut back on sugar, dairy, and processed food.  I started out really strong.  It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and I could tell a noticeable difference in my physical and emotional health.  Good food tasted better and better all the time, and I wasn't craving my old favorites as much anymore. 

That being said... I also know that it's ok to indulge yourself every once in a while.  These days, I've slacked off a little bit.  I still use those ingredients, but in moderation, and I'm aware of the consequences when I do.  So, here's a warning... If you are trying hard to avoid these types of food, do not continue reading!  Although, if you saw the photo above, it's probably already too late.

When I'm feeling a little indulgent, these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are just the ticket.  If you're gonna splurge, it better at least be something really good, right?  Plus, you can always freeze half the dough for later.

 I got this recipe from my sister.  I don't really buy or make my own sweets at home anymore, but when my sister has us over for dinner, these cookies are the perfect ending to one of her delicious meals.


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

1 cup peanut butter, room temperature

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1 large egg, room temperature

1 tablespoon milk 
(I use almond milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup peanut butter chips

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter. Add both sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Next, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and beat thoroughly.

Stir in the peanut butter and chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Use a fork to lightly indent dough with a criss-cross pattern without overly flattening the cookies. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Be careful not to overbake, these cookies have a tendency to look underdone.

Cool for about a minute, then transfer to a cooling rack.

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen 





2 comments:

  1. I love Nigella Lawsons peanutbutter-snickers muffins and peanutbutter-chocolate squares, so I can imagine how good these must taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. personally not a pb fan but my kiddos are a different story. Will give these a shot...that way I wont eat them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...