May 25, 2013

Can I see your ID?

This is not a story about being carded in a bar.

No, I was buying a movie ticket.  For a PG-13 movie.  Granted, I was only 13.  But, seriously?  Who even cares?  I had no ID on me, go figure... so the guy let me buy the ticket anyway.  Uh, thanks.

This may or may not have been the same day that I was completely mortified by another member of the opposite sex, at this point I honestly can't remember.  This was one of those times where all of your friends get together, someone's mom drops you off at the movies, and for a few hours you are mature and independent women.  Or something kind of like that.  One of the girls knew some guys from another school and they were going to meet up at the theater.  So, we're all being introduced and one of the guys looks at me and says, "So, are you the little sister?"  

Worst day ever.  

When you're a 13 year old girl and half of your life is spent dreaming about how to get the cute guy to notice you, this kind of thing is seriously detrimental to your development.  But, what can you do?  You brush it off, because, whatever, he was ugly anyway.
If I could count the number of times that I heard things like, "Can I see your ID?" or, "But you look so young!" followed by the ever popular, well intentioned, but always slightly condescending, "You'll appreciate it when you're older!"  By the way, the last one is so not happening.  I know I'm still fairly young, but as certain lines on my face start becoming more and more defined, I've come to the realization that I am always going to look like a teenager, just a teenager with wrinkles.  

Over the years I've developed a sort of complex about it.  I've always been too mature, and too responsible, I suppose in an attempt to prove myself.  When I was younger I thought there would come a time when all of a sudden I would feel grown up.  I'd be bigger and taller and "look" like a grown up.  I'm still waiting.  

Day 25, Saturday: Something someone told you about yourself that you'll never forget.

7 comments:

  1. I understand your pain...I once got carded for a movie when I was 19 by a 16 year-old...they made me get an ID and I had just returned from living abroad so I had to show them my passport...talk about embarrassing. You also hit the nail on the head about the "You'll appreciate it when your older" business...bully to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through the link up! I can totally relate to this! People always give me the appreciating it when I'm older line too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahah... A teenager with wrinkles. HOT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i got carded to see encino man. i was nineteen. it was rated pg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have gotten that all my life!! The first was when I was in 8th grade and someone asked me if I was in 4th. Fourth!!?? Now people think I'm still in high school when I graduated college a year ago.

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, I completely identified with this entire post! I have heard those lines all my life and I know exactly how you feel. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly how you feel! I guess it doesn't help that I still dress young, but man. People were saying I looked 12 even after I was 21. I get so excited when they don't ask for my ID now. Oh I'm sure we'll appreciate it when we're older... it still get's annoying. What is also annoying is when people point out to me that I'm short. Wow, no kidding. Please tell me more about how young and short I am, lol.
    I found your blog from the Grab a Friend blog hop, and am now a new follower :) I just love your style!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...