May 23, 2013

clueless

Sometimes I like to kid myself into thinking I only just graduated college yesterday.  It seems like just yesterday.  But as more and more time passes, I find myself feeling more and more clueless.  I spent a good chunk of my life in school, and now I'm not even sure what I have to show for it.

Don't get me wrong, I was a good student.  And I was smart.  At least, I thought I was.  I knew how to get good grades, and I knew how to ace a test.  So I was labeled "smart."  I got my associates degree first, and graduated with a 4.0.  I transfered to a four year school and graduated cum laude (granted, I did study art).  But no one ever asks me what my grade point average was.  And "smart" doesn't really translate into real life.

Life doesn't care that I could write a stellar book report about someone else's experiences.  It challenges me to write my own experiences, and write them well.

Life doesn't care that I got A's on all of my U.S. History tests.  It wants to know how I am going to learn from my own past and use trials and mistakes to shape my future.

Life doesn't care what I learned in Biology.  It is going to show me so many amazing things with my own eyes; things that will leave me standing in awe of the Creator.


How did I go from feeling so smart in school to feeling so clueless in the real world?  It is humbling, for sure.  I have so much more to see, and so much more to learn.

Day 23, Thursday: Things you've learned that school won't teach you

8 comments:

  1. I loved what you wrote Allison - especially It is going to show me so many amazing things with my own eyes; things that will leave me standing in awe of the Creator.
    You are wise beyond your years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly how I feel! It's been 18 years since my graduation and I'm still clueless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. We are all a bit clueless at time. Personally I think that's what makes life grand. If we had it all figured out that would be no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful share on tosay's blog challenge! I know what you mean about feeling clueless and it is so crazy how much different things matter at different stages in or lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great post. Couldn't agree more with these life lessons.

    http://mels-corner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. My post is on the same wavelength as your's today! Talking about resumes, networking and internships. You'll find your rhythm soon enough :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really great! Probably the best posts I've read from the link up!

    Carrie
    http://lego-house.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...