May 7, 2013

on fear

For the past several days I have been participating in this blog challenge.  Today's challenge was to write about the things you're most afraid of.  Honestly, I was going to skip this one.  I didn't want to write it, and as I thought about why, I realized that in the act of doing so, I would be addressing some of my worst fears.

I'm afraid of being vulnerable.  I don't want to tell you my fears, because then you will know my weaknesses, and I will be vulnerable.  I'm afraid of opening up to you.  I like to keep things light and on the surface.  If I show you who I am, it will give you the opportunity to judge me, and I am afraid of being rejected.  I'm afraid of putting myself out there and of chasing my dreams, because I am a perfectionist, and I don't want to fail.  I'm afraid that these fears are holding me back from living my life to the fullest.  I know they are.

Whenever I start thinking this way, I have to remind myself to get out of my own head.  First of all, what I do and what I say is not that important.  Second of all, when I start thinking this way, I am usually only considering myself, instead of how I could be caring for, relating to, or serving someone else.  I'm sure I'll never conquer these fears completely, but I'm constantly striving to take small steps to stifle them.

What is it that you are afraid of?  How do you overcome these fears when they surface?

16 comments:

  1. I thought about skipping today too, but it's so important to share these things! Love the verse and love your openness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad that you didn't skip it either :)

      Delete
  2. Great post, thanks for being honest and open, you are an example to us all! I love your blog, newest follower here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ragan! I'm following you now as well :)

      Delete
  3. Great post and the fact that you are trying to conquer your fears is inspiring.
    Being afraid of opening up and being vulnerable is something I can really relate to, I have found my blog has really helped me with this though as it has become the place where I do open up, and my world hasn't caved in, in fact it's become better for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment :) It's so nice to find people that can relate, isn't it? I'm hoping that blogging will do the same for me.

      Delete
  4. i love that you shared your fears, but that you still find strength and comfort in the Lord when entrusting Him with your fears:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is comforting, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Wow, it's striking to me that you are afraid of being vulnerable but that you write personal blog. Hmmm.... maybe it's your way of feeling a little more comfortable about sharing? Thoughts?

    I hope you are having a great week! Thanks for visiting me today! I'll be back too! I'm loving your blog style!

    ~Brooke @ Who Moved My Cheesecake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just it. I'm an introverted person by nature, so I find that starting a blog like this is a great way to open up. Doesn't mean it isn't a little scary though :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I have many fears: the ones that haunt me in my sleep-spiders, snakes, kidnappers, men chasing me, not being able to hide; fear of death and just no longer being; fear of disappointing people, my parents especially; fear of upsetting people; fear of being rejected; fear of wasting my life; fear of being alone. There's quite a few. Yours sound very normal. No need to worry :)

    http://exploringmystyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! It's always reassuring to hear that others share the same fears, especially when it's something we don't usually talk about.

      Delete
  7. Great strategy, getting out of your own head. I once read about a Zen master who told his disciple how to handle anxiety: "Take positive action for the good." That's what you're saying too, when you talk about thinking of others and helping them.

    Happy May Challenge! I'm in it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that phrase, I'll have to remember that one. Thank you so much for stopping by, on my way to check out your blog now :)

      Delete
  8. i think we're all vulnerable and afraid of rejection, but usually without valid reason. the lives people portray, especially via blogs, aren't typically "real life." sure, there are pieces that are real. but, in essence, i've come to realize that even the most normal or perfect of people, are just as insecure and unsure as the rest of us. i started my blog pretty recently, knowing that maybe people would disagree, judge, or dislike me- but, for all those who aren't in your favor, there are plenty of others who are.

    it seems like a huge step that you were able to admit such a fear, so congrats. :)

    xx brittany @ gypsythatiam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany! You're right, as with most fears, these are completely invalidated. That is such a good reminder, too.."for all those who aren't in your favor, there are plenty of others who are."

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...