May 29, 2013

hammer time!

Here's an embarrassing fact about myself that I really try to keep secret:

I have bad taste in music.  Really bad.

Sometimes I get it right and come across an artist or song that I don't mind admitting admiration for.  But for the most part, when someone asks me what kind of music I like, I give my standard vague answer, "you know, a little bit of everything."

Truth:
That annoyingly catchy love song by a teen that has probably never even been in love? I like it.
The cheesy 80's rock ballad? I like it.
A rap song that I can't understand by a guy that I can't relate to? I like it.

I blame this on my father.  When I was growing up, he would spend his evenings winding down to the greatest hits of the 70's, 80's and the 90's blaring from the surround sound system in the basement.  Family dance parties were frequent.

Here are some of our all time family favorites:

So Bad by Allison on Grooveshark

YMCA-This was my Dad's song of choice whenever any "new friends" (i.e., boys) came over to the house.  It was part of our father daughter dance.  It seemed fitting.


Ice Ice Baby-I know, I know.  But it's so bad that it's almost good.  
Ok, maybe not.  But the video's a real treat.
U Can't Touch This- Two words: The. Pants.
Good Vibrations-If Marky Mark doesn't make you want to get up and dance, well... then you probably have better taste in music than I do.
Hold On-My kindergarten self could really relate to this one.

I can't say I really endorse listening to any of this music, but I'm a little sentimental, and to me, this is what childhood memories are made of.  I'm a fairly reserved person, but play one of these songs anywhere near a dance floor, and there's just no stopping me.

So, spill!  What is your favorite terrible song?

Day 29, Wednesday: Five songs or pieces of music that speak to you or bring back memories.

14 comments:

  1. I love the YMCA too because we always do it at family weddings, and so cute that was your song with your dad, so creative!

    Xoxo
    Petchie
    http://psblogbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really can't beat Good Vibrations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! haha...I don't know if anyone can deny actually liking all of your picks, whether they have good taste in music or not!! Love that the YMCA made it into your father-daughter dance! I have this vivid memory of being in the car on the way to softball practice in the 4th grade singing to Hold On. Loved Wilson Phillips!!
    Eva @ Snappee Turtle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wilson Phillips is my FAVE! Best song ever and is always my karaoke go-to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I have ever danced around to the YMCA by myself?! So fun. I definitely brushed my teeth to your playlist this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not really a solo type of song, but I was definitely doing the same thing while I was making this playlist, haha :)

      Delete
  6. Don't ever be ashamed of your bad taste in music! Haha, I love all genres of music, but the songs that I belt out like a crazy person are all similar to the songs you love - catchy teen songs about love, cheesy 80s ballads, terrible rap. I love your list! And I can't listen to Hold On without thinking of the movie Bridesmaids now lol.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've been wanting to watch it again since I made this playlist! I loved that they included it in the movie!

      Delete
  7. Awesome playlist! Nothing on this list to be ashamed of and I can't get enough of how adorable you and your dad are together!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can rap the first two complete verses of Ice Ice Baby. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing wrong with that list at all. My mom used to sew me lots of clothes growing up, and I had her make me some Hammer pants (with a matching vest) which I wore the first day of 3rd grade. I'm not ashamed to say I love busting out U Can't Touch This at karaoke- everyone loves the Hammer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Umm, you posted "You can't touch this" by M.C. Hammer. I say that's an awesome taste in music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I guess we can all appreciate a little "bad" music sometimes :)

      Delete
  11. You Can't Touch This = AMAZING! Now I have it stuck in my head... and I'm not even mad about it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...