May 13, 2013

I need to come clean...

Dear Eva,

As we celebrated your birthday this past weekend, I thought about how fortunate I am to have you as a sister and a friend.  How we would argue, as sisters often do, but how grateful I am that our relationship now is better than ever.  And I feel like maybe it's time that I come clean about something...

Remember those bath salts that you bought for Mom way back when you were in kindergarten?  Our school was having a Christmas Bizarre Bazaar and all of the students got to shop for presents.  I was either feeling like a particularly selfish nine year old that year, or just practicing discerning spending habits, I'm really not sure which.  Either way, I didn't end up buying anything for anyone.  When you asked for a secret meeting in the bathroom that night, I knew something was definitely off.  We sat there on the cold bathroom floor, and as you stuck your chubby little hand inside a brown paper bag, my heart sank.  You proudly pulled out a decorated baby food jar filled with homemade bath salts, and you looked just a little too smug for my taste when you said, "I got this for Mom for Christmas!"  Your blue eyes were wide with excitement and I knew I had to think fast.  My favorite child standing would certainly come crashing down if I allowed you to bestow this token of unselfish giving while I came up empty handed.  I mustered up my most serious face as I told you, "Eva, you cannot give those to Mom.  I don't know what you were thinking, those are poisonous!"  Stubborn as you were, it took a little more convincing to release those bath salts from your grip.  When I revealed that just one bath with those unassuming salts would put our mother's life in danger, I knew I had hooked you. First that perfect, angelic little smile started to fade, and then those blue eyes started to well up with tears.  Relief began to wash over me... I had won! I wouldn't be the only one without a gift for Mom under the tree that year after all!  Success tasted so sweet... but then, I watched the first tear roll down your little cheek, and then the second.  All of a sudden, the sweet taste of success was replaced with bitter regret.  How could I have done this?  I had tainted this generous act of love, crushed your Christmas spirit, and your chance to experience the joy of giving.  But it was too late, I couldn't go back now.  I was the big sister, and everything I said and did was right.  

I don't remember what happened next, Eva. I suppose over the years of trying to block it from my memory, the ending has gotten a little fuzzy.  But I can never forget.  I can never forget the pain that my lie caused you that night.  And I tell you now with the utmost sincerity that it has been one of the most, if not the most, shameful experience of my life.  And I am so sorry.  I am so sorry that I told you those bath salts were poisonous.

Please forgive me.

Love,
Allison

Day 13, Monday: Issue a public apology.

10 comments:

  1. Oh dear! It's amazing how the young mind works, and how that made sense at the time. I was nasty to my little sister too...perhaps an apology is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me think of all the things I should apologize to my little sister for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If she is anything like my sister she wont have forgotten and this will mean the world to her, or at least, she'll have a good giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you for being so honest! I hope she forgives you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw this is too sweet, and funny. It's funny to see sibling rivalry come out in the most creative ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Allison,
    I accept your apology. Of all the things that I've done to you in the past, what you did seems pretty harmless. :) I love you!
    Love,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure she'll forgive you :) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This should be in a Chicken Soup for the Soul book! It's funny and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahahha awwwww. I think I am equally amused by as well as sympathetic to this because it totally sounds like something I would have done. Poor sister!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...