May 30, 2013

letting go

These pictures are relevant because... the sun is setting on the things I am letting go of...get it?
I have high standards.  I expect a lot out of myself, out of my fellow man, and out of life in general.  In some ways, this can be a positive thing.  I always push myself to be better, and I like to see the world through rose colored glasses.  But too often, this leads to feelings of disappointment, followed by the need for control.  If I can let go of my expectations, how much more could I get out of life?  My own little view on the world gets clouded by all of these trivial matters, and I miss out on the big picture.  I get distracted by the small, insignificant things of this world, and I give them entirely too much power over my life.  So I'm going to work on letting go.  Letting go of my own plans and my need for control.  Letting go of my unrealistic expectations and disappointments.  Letting go of the fear of potential mistakes and anger over mistakes past.  I'm letting go, and I'm letting in the possibility of so much more.

By the way, thank you all so much for your kind words and prayers for Gidget!  They meant so much to me.  Her surgery went well and I brought her home yesterday morning.  She's pretty out of it and the next couple of weeks will take a lot of rest and physical therapy, but then she should be as good as new!

Day 30, Thursday: React to this term: Letting Go

4 comments:

  1. Allison, I love this post. I feel like I could have written it myself, as this is something I have always, always struggled with, to a T. It's always a conscious effort for me, and one that I'm not always good at or even willing to make at the time. This was beautiful. :)

    And I'm so glad Gidget's surgery went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I get distracted by the small, insignificant things of this world, and I give them entirely too much power over my life." I can totally relate to this. Great post!
    Glad to hear Gidget is doing well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so true that letting go often allows for something better to be "let in". I love this. And so glad Gidget is well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I expect a lot of my fellow man too, I hate that about myself a bit, because it's so ridiculous to be disappointed over something i have not control over..

    basically you just reminded me of something i have to let go of, geez. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...