May 1, 2013

may day

Happy May Day!  

When I was growing up, my grandmother would arrange a basket of flowers and sneak it to our front door on the morning of the first day of May.  How exciting it was to open the door to a beautiful surprise and not know where it came from or how it got there.  This basket was circa 1988.

Speaking of growing up, I thought I'd share a little bit of my background today.
I grew up in Maryland with my mother, father, and younger sister. I had a good childhood. We lived on a street lined with family homes. My grandmother lived at the end of the street and I have fond memories of being able to walk to her house often.

We moved to Virginia when I was a teenager. It was then that I started taking my faith more seriously. I met my future husband when I was around 15 and turned him down when he asked me out. I had no idea what to do with this outspoken, outgoing, country boy. Certainly this was not my type. Several years later, I gave him another shot. He proposed just three months after we started dating.

After I graduated from college with an art degree, we got married and we now live in a small town in the country, in the house that Riley built himself. I got a job with a local jewelry designer and now have some of my own designs for sale in my Etsy shop. This past winter we decided to embark on a dream that Riley has had for some time. We bought a sailboat and are planning to leave for a few months this fall to sail down the east coast. 

I have a feeling that my story is really just beginning…


14 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad I read your comment when I have time to stop by yours too! You have quite a cute little space. And what a cute picture that is of you! I like your last line where you said this is only the beginning of your story. So true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm following you now, as well :)

      Delete
  2. Ummm, I'm WAY jealous of your sailboat plan! You should just stop by North Carolina and pick me up too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our boat's actually in NC, we're commuting there for a little while! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Firstly: I LOVE that your Grandmother used to do that with the flower baskets, and you were adorable!! Your "love story" seems quite similar to mine--these country boys--what were we supposed to do with them!? ha! Your boating plans sound absolutely amazing. If you enjoy reading YA novels at all, you should pick up Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker; the girl spends a summer on a boat! Happy to be following along, now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YA novels are one of my guilty pleasures, I will definitely be checking that book out! Thanks for telling me about it! Following you back, too :)

      Delete
  4. Allison,

    I just love you and I love reading your blog. You have the best outfit and jewelry pairings and I like the personal stories too. What a wonderful way to journal about fun things that you're doing and reflect on the past. Now you just need to come visit and help me to be more fashionable, haha. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I had no idea you had read it at all! I love and miss you, too!!! Thanks for your sweet comment. And you ought to give yourself a little more credit :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Thank you so much for stopping by! I haven't had a chance yet to visit some of the other blogs in the challenge but I am happy to find you! What a sweet story and your new adventure sounds amazing. I can't wait to hear how it all unfolds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous little girl you are!! We are so much alike, now that I read your story...wow. Like a lot. I am so excited about your sailing trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! I was also homeschooled, though just for a few years, and my husband was almost entirely.

      Delete
  7. How adorable are you?! Gotta love former Maryland girls :) Excited to read more this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a trip that will be!! I'm sure that is going to be a memory you relive many times - and tell over and over..I know I would if I took a long sailing trip like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving your blog. It and you are so adorable. I will be following for sure :)

    www.lovinleelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...