May 17, 2013

my favorite photo

This is one of my favorite photos of myself.  I am not the star of the picture (although there's a definite possibility that was the intention).  No, to me this photo is about my grandmother. I called her "Mom Mom."  I loved her, so much.  I loved walking to her house and hanging out for awhile.  I loved her hugs, and I love that I can still remember exactly what they felt like.  I loved her beautiful peony bush that welcomed visitors at the door.  I loved the way it's gorgeous, papery blooms meant that spring had truly arrived.  I loved her Japanese Maple tree, the one in the background.  It's low, strong branches were a shaded playground on which grandchildren could imagine and dream.  When I think about her now, these are the memories that come to mind.  She developed Alzheimer's Disease when I was a teenager, and passed away when I was a junior in college.  Although, with a disease like Alzheimer's, she was really gone long before she actually died.  But this is the Mom Mom that I remember.  And I love that this one photo captures so many memories that I hold so dear.

Day 17, Friday: A favorite photo of yourself and why

12 comments:

  1. Such a special post and precious photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love photos with happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet. One of my grandpas died when I was a junior in high school after a long illness. I like to remember him from better days, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful picture and such wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a touching photograph and post. It just really encapsulates a beautiful moment and your grandma's dress is gorgeous on her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great photo! I can see why it's a favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post! I miss my grandmother too, wonderful memories...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My gosh how sweet is this? Loving that moo-moo though, wish those would come back in style...I'd rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a photo from when I was little with each of my grandparents... All candid. All my favorites.

    You can see how much she adored you in this picture. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photo. She will live forever with such precious memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was so sweet.
    I love looking back on pictures with my grandparents, they hold the best memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...