May 8, 2013

never pay full price

 
 
Sweater, Shirt, Skirt, Shoes: J.Crew Belt: Anthropologie
Clutch: Modcloth Watch: Vintage Necklace: The Bauble Dept.

One piece of advice that I would like to impart to you is... never pay full price.  I've certainly been guilty of doing so before, but it never fails that whenever I do, that particular item gets marked down within a few weeks or I happen across something else just great, but at a much better price.

 Nearly my entire outfit is courtesy of J.Crew.  When I say "courtesy of" I mean, of course, that J.Crew supplied each piece to their store so that I could go there, pick it all out, and pay for it myself.   I am fortunate, however, to live within a reasonable distance from a J.Crew clearance store.  This means a sizable discount on any of J.Crew's overstock, one-off samples, minorly deffective merchandise, and even a few Madewell pieces.  Whenever I make the trip, I always seem to leave with at least one (usually more...) jackpot find at a very good price.  A courtesy, indeed.

Speaking of discounts, I am currently running a sale in my Etsy jewelry shop!  You can use the code MAYDAY at checkout for 10% off of your purchase.  This necklace that I'm wearing is one of my favorites that I have for sale right now.  Click here to check it out!




14 comments:

  1. Agreed and it def makes it easier now in the age of online shopping. My husband just bought two shirts off of ebay and got them tailored to fit him best, and with shipping it was still cheaper than in the store the shirts originated from. Sadly I think this will also hurt small businesses too with not buying full price and doing more online shopping. Def seems like direction that its going right now.

    Bonnie Rose | The Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should probably clarify that I don't mean "never" too literally :) I think it's important to be a smart consumer, and to me, that means knowing when to save and knowing when paying full price is justifiable. I've also found that for someone like me, living in the country, buying from other sellers on sites like Etsy (and sometimes ebay, too) is a great way to shop online and support small businesses at the same time! Thanks for your comment, I'm glad you brought this up :)

      Delete
  2. Love your sweater. Cool color. You're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love this color, too :)

      Delete
  3. I love a good bargain, and your top is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thanks, I wear it all the time... I seem to think leopard goes with everything!

      Delete
  4. I wholeheartedly agree. I always go for the clearance racks before anything else. Also, THRIFT STORES. Yesterday I picked up a Cuisinart mill coffee grinder, retail $77.96 at Sears, for $5. I was a happy little camper, let me tell ya!

    Also, this was my first time checking out your Etsy shop. WOW, babe! Your gemstone jewelry is stunning. I added several pieces to my faves list. How long is your sale going for?

    Much love!
    NewlyMynted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is a great deal! Thanks so much!! This sale in going on through the end of May. I have one periodically, every few months or so.

      Delete
  5. I love this advice! I don't think I've paid full price for something in a long time. Honestly I don't feel bad for that because tons of places mark their price up big time just for a label. Their profit from full price is usually ridiculous, so I don't feel bad when the deal works in my favor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love that skirt! I always head straight to the back of stores to their clearance racks. ha! Glad to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obviouslyyy I love this post. I'm totally with ya, there is no reason to buy things full price!! I am super jealous that you live so close to a J Crew outlet...I've never bought anything from there but if I lived near an outlet I would be alllll over that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to have found your blog through the challenge! Very cute space, love your style, and I absolutely love that you and your husband are following your sailing dream! I dream of owning a boat someday, so for now I'm happy to live vicariously through your story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A girl after my own heart, I always buy clearance and vintage. Love your outfit. Having so much fun on this link-up, love reading your blog. Jennifer xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous outfit Allison!! I love the orange shoes! Great touch :)

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...