May 5, 2013

she started it

This is my mom.  I could say so many things about her.  How she always taught me to say thank you, how she gave me an appreciation for good food,  how she is one of my best friends.  But I think one of the things I appreciate the most about her is her creative spirit.  Growing up, she was always more than willing to help me with school projects.  And whenever I made a mistake on a poster that I had worked so painstakingly on (perfectionism starts early), I knew that she would know how to fix it.  A few extra strokes of the pen, and the mistake was transformed into an intentional decorative design.  That kind of creative thinking has served me well in life.

She took a jewelry class in high school, and the collection of turquoise and silver jewelry that she started in her teenage years has certainly influenced my own taste in jewelry.  I have even stolen permanently borrowed a few of my favorites.  She sewed some of her own clothing, too.  Partly out of the desire to create, and partly out of necessity (finding clothes for someone so tall and skinny was a little tricky in the seventies).  Some of her pieces from a pottery class mingle with mine on the shelves at my parents house.  Hers are better, by far.

So, thanks mom.  Thanks for raising me, loving me, and teaching me wrong from right.  But most of all, thank you for showing me, and inspiring in me, a creative spirit.  I love you.



12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! My mom is my best friend, I'd be lost without her! Side note, your jewelry is beautiful, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, and what an awesome picture. Made me smile and think of my Mom, though she's not with us anymore. I think I got alot of my creative side from her as well.

    I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. Mum's are amazing, aren't they!? My mum isn't creative but she is practical and knows how to fix things, which is necessary in our household as my dad and I are pretty useless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet! I love your mom. Hope she gets to see this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky to have a mum like that! You look so much alike too.

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a nice post about your mother! Very nice.
    And I like the necklaced!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom learned to sew in high school for that same reason, being skinny. I'm glad she did, because she taught me, and I have to deal with the same problem. Skinny and long legged pants just don't come around too often. I wouldn't have it any other way!

    NewlyMynted

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tribute to your mom! I am visiting from the challenge and I wrote about my mom too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great picture of your mom. She looks gorgeous and sounds like such a great woman!


    www.coordinatedkate.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely picture, and you look so much alike!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your mum is so beautiful. you look so much like her :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...