May 4, 2013

sometimes I wonder

Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?- Kathleen Kelly, You've Got Mail

This quote resonated with me when I first saw the movie, and it still does to this day. I have a wonderful life. I have been blessed with a good family, a loving husband, and so many positive experiences and opportunities. But... I have always played it safe. I have never made any life altering mistakes, taken any huge risks, or traveled to any exotic places. I was a pretty responsible kid growing up; I got good grades, went to college, married a good man, got a job, and paid off my school debt. We lead a small life, in a small town, in a small house. We even have a small dog. I have nothing to complain about, but I often wonder what my life would be like if I had taken more chances... if I didn't always play it so safe. When Riley first started talking about his dream of buying a sailboat and sailing down the coast it was one of those, "maybe someday when I'm retired" sort of dreams. Yeah, I thought it sounded interesting, but my train of thinking at the time was more on the path of, "let's find our dream home, have kids"...etc. But the more he talked about it, the more I began to see it as my opportunity to step out of the safe zone and have an adventure. It's not the conventional path to take at our stage in life, and that idea started to grow on me more and more. Finally, I told him if we were going to do this, we have to do it now. Like, right now. Before we have kids, or decide where we want to live for the next several years. Before I get too comfortable in my rut. It's time to shake things up a little.


20 comments:

  1. Thats a good quote, I have not seen that film in such a long time. Might need to revisit that one again.

    Found your blog through the link up.
    Bonnie Rose | a Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that movie and quote! Nice pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison!

    I just found your blog through the Blog Every Day in May Challenge.

    I really like your quote! I do like that movie, too! I can't tell from this post whether or you and your husband are going to have your big adventure, but I hope so! I say go for it! Life isn't meant to lived for retirement, but for right now! :)

    http://www.chimerikal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are...as long as things go as planned we are hoping to leave this fall! You are so right. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Taking a trip before kids is a great idea! I went on a trip to Ireland with my family right before I met my husband, it was wonderful, I'd totally recommend visiting there :)
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ireland looks absolutely beautiful. It is definitely on my list of places to visit!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your comment on my blog! I love your quote, too. I had to poke around a bit but I saw that you guys have planned the sailing trip and that's SO exciting! It is definitely going to be one of those life-defining experiences. Excited to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that one- I have had those same feelings and am hoping that we find those moments even among the life with kids stage. I'm so glad you feel good about opening up to this adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know you guys will! I hope that we will too whenever we get to that stage :)

      Delete
  7. I suddenly realised the other day that I hadn't watched this movie for way too long so I re-watched it and fell in love with it all over again :) I love the Kathleen Kelly character....who doesn't? But I especially love Nora Ephron, her writing is brilliant.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either, and especially after writing this post I'm feeling like it's time to watch it again! Yes...love her, and her apartment, and her bookstore... :)

      Delete
  8. PS And good for you for shaking it up a little, such a brave thing to do & one that you'll never regret....well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I (and We-my husband and I) are the same way. The biggest risk or adventure we've taken - we are doing it right now. Packed up the kids and moved to Virginia so my husband can pursue a dream of earning a PhD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a big adventure! I wish you all the best with it :)

      Delete
  10. I know exactly how you feel! This is the kind of rut I'm in at the moment. I had very strict parents growing up so I didn't go out much, didn't do anything against the rules, got good grades, graduated college. I guess the only thing is moving in with my boyfriend and staying in Long Beach despite my parents wishes. I've always did what my parents expected of me which is why I haven't done anything crazy. My biggest dream for the moment is to save up enough money to quit my job and take a road trip around the US with my boyfriend. I don't want to be in a rush or have any plans. Just have an open-ended trip and see all 50 states. (I've already been to Hawaii so that may have to wait for another time). With only one of us working and me working a minimum wage job, I don't see it happening anytime soon but I'm hoping we get a chance to go before really settling down somewhere. Heck, maybe it'll even show us our new home!

    Lauren
    http:exploringmystyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance to do that, too! I think that would be a great trip to take. Even if you can only save a little at a time, it all adds up and it's definitely possible!

      Delete
  11. I loved this post so much and feel like I could have written it! My story is eerily similar to yours--I took the very predictable path of college, marriage, getting a job, and buying a house. I have never traveled abroad (except for Jamaica haha) and feel like everyone else has crazy interesting stories to tell and I don't! I think it's hard to remember to not look at other peoples experiences on Facebook and their blogs and compare them to your own, because everyone has different circumstances. Easier said than done, right? I saw a quote on Pinterest one time that I love: "It's OK to live a calm life". Anyway, your big adventure sounds awesome and I can't wait to hear more about it as it develops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's always nice to meet someone else with the same kind of story :) I love reading about other peoples amazing lives, but they aren't always as easy to relate to... and you're right about the danger of comparing. Great quote :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...