May 31, 2013

the moment I knew

Sunday, June 24, 2007.  
This was the day I knew that I was in love.

I mentioned before that Riley and I have known each other since we were about 15.  He had asked me out at that time, and even though I did have a little crush on him, I turned him down.  I will never hear the end of this for as long as I live.  We seemed so completely different at the time, I couldn't possibly imagine the two of us having a relationship.  Over the next several years our paths would cross occasionally because of a mutual friend.  In the summer of 2007, while planning a camping trip with this friend, I suggested that we invite Riley.  After that weekend, we were inseparable.

The weekend after the camping trip, Riley invited me on a picnic.  That Sunday morning he showed up at my parents house to go with us to church.  That right there earned him several points.  As we stood next to each other at the service, I listened to him singing, his voice strong and clear.  In that moment it hit me.  I knew that I loved him.  That I would marry him.  That this guy standing next to me was all of the things that I had been looking for in a relationship.

The picnic was just the icing on the cake.  We took his Jeep, with the windows down and the music up, to the picturesque spot that he had picked.  Riley had made lunch himself, complete with homemade fried chicken and freshly squeezed lemonade.  He was pulling out all of the stops.  He didn't have to at this point, I was already sold.  But I let him sweat it out a little longer.

Just a little.
We were engaged three months later.

Now we're celebrating almost five years of marriage.
More in love everyday.

Day 31, Friday: A vivid memory

7 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures of the two of you. You look so happy, congratulations to you both on nearly five years together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great pictures of you two. I also told my husband we would never date or get married, so he should look else where...lol :) I'm glad I was wrong ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post! I love love! Congrats on 5 years of marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is adorable and you make a beautiful couple! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww what a sweet story, found you via the link up now following, come same hi and follow back if youd like :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linked to this from the Linkwithin. SO CUTE! Who doesn't love fresh-squeezed lemonade? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...