May 26, 2013

what if...

I've been spending a lot of time recently, driving on bridges over bodies of water.  I'm not generally afraid of heights, but I can't help but wonder, whenever crossing a particularly long or tall bridge (hello, Chesapeake Bay Bridge), "what if the bridge collapses and the car plunges into the water?" Okay, so this is obviously not a very realistic scenario, but surely this thought has crossed your mind at least once, too?  Maybe?
These pictures are from Bridge Day at the New River Gorge in Virginia, hence the unusual number of bystanders and base jumpers.  Also, I don't think escaping from your car would even be an issue if this bridge collapsed.
I pulled up my aol homepage the other day, and as I skimmed the headlines (too often this is the only way I ever know what is going on in the outside world) this one jumped out at me: "Escape a Car Underwater." Finally, the answer to the question I had always wondered about but was too afraid to google.  Now that I am armed with knowledge, it is even less likely that my car will ever plummet off of a bridge.  Because isn't that the way it works? Try as I might, I always prepare for the wrong freak accidents.  And knowing my record of freak car accidents, I figure better safe than sorry.  Here's the link to the video, in case you too, are paranoid about the highly unlikely chance that you might find your car slowly sinking in a large body of water: 
Day 26, Sunday: Something you read online.

1 comment:

  1. We don't have many/any bridges over huge bodies of water in Oklahoma, but this is good food for thought. I'm going to read this an be prepared!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...