Jun 13, 2013

fruits of summer


Riley and I used up our first batch of strawberries (that we had picked here) pretty quickly.  I had almost forgotten just how good fresh strawberries are.  Since then, I can't seem to stop buying them!  I thought I'd share some of the ways that we've been enjoying them lately.  None of these recipes are anything ground breaking, but they're sweet and simple (just how I like it) and really let the strawberries shine!


I love having smoothies for breakfast.  Sometimes a green smoothie, sometimes fruit.  I make mine with strawberries, pineapple, mango, and almond milk.  I always buy a ton of bananas at the store and then slice and freeze the ones that we don't eat in time.  I find that with frozen bananas and almond milk, I don't even need to use yogurt.  Sometimes, I also add a little bit of peanut butter for protein.  Have you ever tried MaraNatha organic peanut butter?  That stuff is so good!


Herb-crusted chicken with fresh strawberry relish.  Now, I've always been a picky eater, so strawberries with chicken is a little outside of the box for me.  But, this recipe from EatingWell looked so fresh and delicious that I had to try it!  This one is definitely going on our repeat list.  I also made this salad, as a side.  I didn't have any arugula, but I always have some fresh spinach on hand, so I made a little swap.


Strawberry basil lemonade.  I sliced some fresh strawberries and basil and muddled them in the bottom of a glass, then poured in some homemade lemonade.  You could also add a splash of vodka or gin, and some simple syrup to taste.  (confession- I actually tried to make my own strawberry simple syrup, but wound up making some hard candy and a big mess instead.  So I skipped that.  But truthfully, I don't think this needs to be any sweeter anyway.)


An all time favorite.  A slice of angel food cake, some homemade whipped cream, and some fresh, sliced strawberries and you have a simple, delicious dessert that feels light and refreshing.  The only downside is that I never want to stop at just one...

What are some of your favorite strawberry recipes?  Do you have any other seasonal favorites?

7 comments:

  1. I love strawberries! I was justing thinking yesterday about my great-grandmother's strawberry pie recipe. So great for summer! I'd also love to try that lemonade. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm strawberry pie! And the fact that it's your great-grandmother's recipe makes it that much sweeter :)

      Delete
  2. Mmmm this post is just so summery and yummy!! Makes me want strawberries right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a lazy cook, so my favorite thing to do is eat strawberries with a few pieces of plain chocolate. You get the flavor without the mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love strawberries! We have a patch in our back yard and the fresh picked ones are always so much better than the store bought! And that chicken dish sounds delicious; definitely going to try a chicken and strawberry dish out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I am pinning these immediately.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...