Jun 25, 2013

heat conditioning


shirt: Loft shorts: Fossil shoes: Seychelles purse: J.Crew headband: Anthropologie necklace: The Bauble Dept.

I'm officially in conditioning mode.  Heat conditioning, that is, not air conditioning.  I used Gidget as my excuse to stay home from the boat this weekend, but honestly, I just wasn't quite ready to go back after my last trip.  It was so hot and humid that weekend, and on a little boat there is just no way to escape from it.  We haven't gotten to the place where we are taking it out sailing very often yet, so we mostly bake in the hot sun while working on projects, or suffocate in the small cabin with only a tiny fan for circulation (this is being remedied asap).  When we actually get sailing, the wind will obviously make this all the more bearable.

I will be the first to admit that I am a little bit of a wimp when it comes to extreme temperatures.  I'd do just fine with a year long alternating spring/fall.  I've been far too spoiled with heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer (except for those few summers I worked in a hot attic studio with no a/c...). I appear especially weak to my husband who says I have not been "conditioned to deal with the heat."  He grew up in an old farmhouse, and also works in construction, and consequently knows all too well how to cope with conditions that make those of us with a more delicate nature fall to pieces.

So, it's going to be a windows open, fans blasting, hot and sweaty sort of summer for this princess.  Also, I realized I have far too many clothes made of cotton and high maintenance fabrics that just kinda drown you in the heat.  Come hell or high water (probably both), Riley's going to get the outdoorsy(-er) girl he's always wanted.

So, what are your tricks for beating the heat this summer?


Follow along: BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER

8 comments:

  1. I must be the only person on the planet that likes the heat. I grew up in Phoenix, I'm used to temps 110+. Here in NC, my BF and go back and forth whether or not 75 is too hot.

    BTW, you look great in shorts!

    Steph
    http://www.newlymynted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been, does Phoenix have that nice, dry heat? I do know how humid NC can get, so depending on the humidity, I might have to agree that 75 could be too hot!

      Delete
  2. Haha! My tricks for beating the heat? Close all the windows and doors and blast that AC. Go on the deck to enjoy a magazine and some wine, and come inside when I'm too hot. :) Love your hair btw! I live in scarfs/headbands over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your necklace! You have a fabulous blog and I am your newest follower. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm co-hosting this weeks Grab a Friend Blog Hop and just wanted to stop by and say "hi" and thanks for linking up!
    Loving your blog, it's so beautiful!
    This outfit is great too!
    New follower.
    Kallie, But First Coffee Blog OR But First Coffee on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I live in Long Beach, CA and we're still waiting for summer to start! We get what's called June Gloom where it's gloomy every single morning until about 1 or 2 and then it will get a bit warmer out but I'm still wearing maxi dresses, skirts, and pants since I never know what the temperature will be like!

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style

    ReplyDelete
  6. To beat the heat in Jamaica we would always roll up wet bandanas or towels and keep them in the freezer overnight and then pull them out to wrap around our necks or wrists to help cool off in the afternoons. I still keep one or two in my freezer for extra hot days! But after a few years in the cold, dry weather of Colorado, my skin is loving being back in Virginia's humidity! Hope you're doing well - I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Betsy! It's good to hear from you. That's a great idea...thinking about how hot it must have been in Jamaica really makes me feel like a wimp, haha :) I never thought of Va's humidity as something to be missed, but yeah, I guess I can see how it's totally possible!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...