Jun 27, 2013

popsicles



There's nothing quite like a cold treat on a hot summer day.  Even better if it's something sweet.  When I was little, my mom used to make popsicles with one of those little plastic popsicle molds.  She would pour in some fruit juice and pop them in the freezer and we'd wait impatiently for several hours until they were ready.  We didn't really have an ice cream truck that came by our house regularly, offering up a plethora of brightly colored, chocolate covered, creamy, crunchy cones, but we had our little juice pops, and that was ok.  I mean, I guess.

These days I can better appreciate the healthy simplicity of a homemade popsicle.  I've been anxious to try out some of my own combinations and enjoy a cold treat without feeling the guilt of consuming massive amounts of dairy, sugar, and preservatives.  I bought this popsicle mold off of Amazon and picked up a selection of fruit for my first popsicle experiment.


I adapted this recipe from the latest Martha Stewart Living:

(Makes 5 popsicles)
1 cup chopped fresh fruit
3/4 cup coconut water
2 tablespoons agave nectar

Puree in blender. Freeze in popsicle molds until solid.  

I made three combinations: pineapple mango, cherry lime, and kiwi.  I was making less than five popsicles out of each batch, so I just kind of eyeballed my measurements instead of measuring anything exact.  For each flavor I ended up using a little less than a cup of fruit, about 1/2 cup of coconut water, and only a few teaspoons of agave nectar.  For the cherry lime, I added the juice from one half of a lime.

Mine took several hours to freeze completely.  Overall, I was pretty happy with the popsicle mold.  The popsicles came out easily after running the plastic mold under warm water for a few seconds.  But, even with an aluminum lid, my popsicle sticks didn't stay completely straight.


The pineapple mango was the clear winner.  My second choice was the cherry lime, and Riley's second was the kiwi.  I can't wait to try out some more combinations!  My friend Kelsea at Overwhelmed by Grace just made some delicious looking fruit and yogurt pops, so I might have to try those next.  

Have you made your own popsicles before?  What are your favorite flavor combinations?


Follow along: BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER

12 comments:

  1. Yum. These look so good! I haven't had them since I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! I love the idea of using coconut water. I may have to make these this weekend! Thanks for the link over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this so bad right now. Great idea using coconut water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will try using coconut water in future popsicles, sounds like a delicious addition to them. I love red fruits. I am planning on making them with watermelon with some fresh mint and strawberries with basil. And I love your food photography, I find that so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do think it's a little tricky too, especially with something like Popsicles that melt so quickly! Yum, watermelon mint and strawberry basil both sound delicious!

      Delete
  5. These are a great idea! I always need a sweet treat at the end of the day and I love that these are made with real fruit.
    The fruit and yogurt ones sounds yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so yummy and healthy! I don't know why but I never thought to use coconut water instead of plain water in a homemade Popsicle, it's such a good idea!

    I found out about your blog from the Blog Hop and I'm now following you. :) Can't wait to read more post in the future!
    xoxo -B ♡
    http://msberrystylish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those popsicles look delicious!! My favorite would probably be the pineapple and mango ones too. I love anything tropical. Maybe even adding banana??

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style
    GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to do this too!!! Esp with the yogurt, for the protein :)
    And I'd totally agree with pineapple mango being the best.
    I mean, it's MANGO. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! And your nail polish looks super pretty!

      Delete
  9. Omg this is amazing. I just bought a Popsicle mold! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got my popsicle maker yesterday! I'm excited to try out some flavors!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...