Jun 6, 2013

summer days

taken by my sister with her holga

Now that Memorial Day has passed and the days are warming up, it feels like just maybe, summer really is right around the corner.  I am welcoming the sunshine and longer days with open arms.  This time of year always makes me a little nostalgic, though.  Childhood summers looked so very different than they do now.

I miss the fact that the last day of school meant the last of my worries for at least the next two or three months.  (Except for the swimming lessons, that is.  I hated the swimming lessons.)

I miss putting on a pair of shorts and not wondering how long it’s been since I shaved last, or if my legs look just maybe a little bit fatter than they did last year.

I miss laying out in the sun without a single thought of sun damage, skin cancer, or heaven forbid, wrinkles.

I miss taking a trip to the beach without worrying about how we are getting there, where we’re staying or how much it’s going to cost.

I miss playing outside in the hot sun without fear of my make up literally running down my face.  

Oh the vanity.

Now that I think about it, if I would just stop wearing makeup, wearing shorts, (or caring what people think?) and spending money, my summers would be pretty near perfect.  

I don't even have to take swimming lessons.  I knew there was a perk to growing up.

4 comments:

  1. Haha - I used to LOVE swimming lessons. I totally agree with you on everything on this list! Now summer just means having to be at work when it's sunny and beautiful, and living for the weekends/one week of vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. This is funny--and I am with you about the wrinkles! Lol. Oh well....I am going to get them one way or another right! Might as well enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that top right picture! And I would love to take a dip in that water, it's getting quite warm inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha love this post.

    Since you already know I love your blog I have officially nominated you for the Leibster award! http://meandmyhousemontreal.blogspot.ca/2013/06/the-leibster-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...