Jun 14, 2013

the "Big D"


In honor of Father's Day, I'd like to say a few words about my dad.  

My dad is… I don’t exactly know where to start.  He’s a hard worker.  He loves animals.  When I was little he was always bringing home a turtle he saved from the side of the road, or a bird with a broken wing.  Now I always want to stop and save every turtle I see. 


He is always the first to stop and help a stranger in need.  He has a sense of humor that was cringe worthy to his own easily embarrassed teenaged daughters, but is better appreciated with a little space and time.  He had dance parties with us in the evenings and taught me all of my "best" moves.


He takes credit for teaching me to draw stick figures.  I’m pretty sure I have never drawn stick figures in my life, and rather skipped over them entirely,  but we’ll let him have it.  He always brought home a new coloring book whenever I was sick.  He bought me leather craft kits, and kid sized pottery wheels and took an interest in creating things with me.
  

He can fix anything that breaks.  He loves to give gifts. He wants his daughters to have everything.  He always said his girls could do anything boys could do, but he never showed (serious) disappointment when I didn’t take to fishing or target shooting, failed miserably at sports, and declined to join the family business as an electrician.  As exasperating as I thought he could be while I was growing up, I somehow fell in love with and married a man who shares all of his best qualities.  


So, thanks, Dad.  I love you.

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! Precious photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww...so sweet! Father-daughter things get me every time! I can't wait to spend some time with my daddy this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just tooo lovely post girl . All dads have one thing in common , they do believe so much on his daughters :')
    Visiting and now following from Aloha Hop :)I would love if you'd check my blog .
    Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post and how fun that you did creative things together. And from what I can see, your wedding dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww what a sweet post! i loved seeing all the lovely things bloggers had to say about their dads over the weekend. my dad is pretty awesome too :)
    -- jackie @ jade and oak

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...