Jul 10, 2013

blueberry buckle


Apparently Bridgeton, the town where our boat is, just across the water from New Bern, is known for it's blueberry harvest.  As it would so happen, there is a blueberry farm right across the street from the marina.  Because it's blueberry season, and because berry picking is one of Eva's favorite things... we really couldn't not go.  We went in the morning before we left for home, and even though the temperature had probably already reached like, 180°F, it was totally worth it and I'm sure we'll be going back for more.

Eva, in her element.

Of course, that meant that we had to spend the next five hours during the trip home balancing them safely in the car, trying not to eat them all, and dreaming up the blueberry recipes that we were planning to make.

First on my list, Blueberry Buckle.


This recipe is the perfect balance between sweet enough for dessert, but not so sweet that you wouldn't consider eating it for breakfast.  And it smelled absolutely amazing fresh from the oven.  I love the combination of a cake like base, fresh blueberry filling, and the sweet crumb topping.  The recipe has three different parts, but they are each fairly quick and easy.

Blueberry Buckle
recipe found here


1. Prepare batter:

4 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk

Cream the butter and sugar, then mix in egg.  Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add half to the creamed butter.  Mix well.  Add in the buttermilk, and mix.  Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes.


2. Prepare crumb topping:

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter, cold

Combine all ingredients and mix (and crumble) with your hands.  Refrigerate.


3. Prepare filling:

4 cups blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons sugar

Combine all ingredients and stir.

Preheat oven to 350.
Grease eight ramekins (or soufflĂ© dishes).  Add 1/4 cup of batter to each, and smooth.  Add 1/2 cup of blueberries to each, and then top with 1/4 of crumb topping.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until top has browned and filling starts to bubble.  Allow to cool on a cooling rack.


I think it's best served warm, or at least at room temperature.  And I always like to top my fruit desserts with just the tiniest bit of ice cream.  I halved the recipe, because I only had 4 dishes and, well... there's only two of us.  But, we ate them all in one night (just for the record, I only had one and a half).  The only logical thing to do in this situation is to make it again the following day, right?  So last night I made the whole recipe and baked it in a large pie plate instead.  There's still some left this morning, so maybe this time we will pace ourselves a little bit.  Maybe.


What are some of your favorite blueberry recipes?


Follow along: BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER


8 comments:

  1. That makes my mouth water! I'm all in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just first say that Eva's shirt is the prettiest thing ever!

    Blueberry desserts are so completely divine. I can't wait until we're ready for hitting the local farms here in Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm! Looks soo good! I made a great blueberry coffee cake the other day. Lauren dosent like sweets but he does like a coffee cake when it's not too sweet and has a crumb topping.
    Your photos and set up/styling are just wonderful. You are doing such a good job with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are looking very, very delicious. I love your food-photography (as I did with those popsicles), do you have any tips? And I love your tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so yummy! Did you save me any? :p

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE blueberries! The blueberry buckle looks and sounds yummy. I may just have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hungry again looking at all these photos! :) i love making blueberry pancakes. But i used frozen blueberries. I bet the taste won't be as good as these freshly-picked ones. Mia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...