Jul 17, 2013

garden fresh

We are so excited to be growing some of our own vegetables for the first time this year!  So far, our cucumber and zucchini plants have been the only ones producing, though some of the others aren't too far behind.  I accidentally let our first zucchini grow to be gigantic; it had somehow escaped my attention.  Now I know to check on our little garden often, and it's always such a fun surprise to find a new vegetable ready to pick!

So far, our cucumbers have been the most prolific.  Which is great, except that we don't really eat cucumbers very often, aside from throwing some in a tossed salad.  For whatever reason, though, I absolutely hate washing lettuce.  It just sits there in the fridge, and then I end up wasting entirely too much of it.  So, I've been trying to find some new ways to use our cucumber harvest.


The first recipe I tried was influenced by this salad.  It is a super easy salad to throw together, no lettuce involved!  Bonus points if you happen to have the other vegetables in your garden as well!


Chop:
1 cucumber
2 medium roma tomatoes
1/2 medium red onion
1 red bell pepper

Rinse:
1 15 oz. can of chickpeas

Toss with:
1/2 cup feta
3 tablespoons minced parsley
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons tahini
1 1/2 teaspoons sumac powder
Salt and pepper, to taste


I also made some pita chips to serve alongside the salad.  If you make them large enough, you can use them as scoops.  I cut one large pita into 8 wedges, brushed them with olive oil, sprinkled them with sea salt, and baked them at 350° F for 10 minutes.


This was a really nice way to use fresh vegetables.  It would work well as a side to any grilled entree, or eaten as a snack or light lunch with the pita chips.  I didn't have any sumac powder on hand, so mine was probably missing that extra oomph, but I still thought it was delicious!  Next time, though, I may peel my cucumbers first because they did have just a slightly bitter skin.


Are you growing your own vegetables this year?  Do you have any delicious recipes to pass along?  I'm going to need some more ideas for all of these cucumbers!  And zucchini...


Follow along: BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER


8 comments:

  1. Yum! Great salad! We eat a lot of salads made with fresh produce from our garden in summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy recipe!
    For the zucchinis...I love zucchini bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful, I love salads like this, but Lauren hates cucumbers :( I love them.
    I wondered if you'd find the sumac powder or just go without it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great! We have an abundance of cucumbers at the moment too, and I'm fast running out of ideas of what to do with them, so I'm really glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That salad looks perfect for summer. And I want to try those pita chips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic and so refreshing with the hot weather we've been having!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw a recipe in a book I have for Dilly Cucumber Salad. I love pickles so I think I would like it. Anyway, thinly slice 3 cucumbers, toss with 2 Tbsp fresh chopped dill (or 2 tsp dried), 1 clove of garlic minced, 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp sugar. It reminds me of something I ordered at a restaurant once that was served as a dip with warm pita triangles..except the restaurant had like a Greek yogurt added to the cucumber salad mixture. What you made looks delicious! I love cucumbers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really good! It reminds me of something my mom used to make. Thanks for the idea!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...