Jul 1, 2013

what I learned during a weather advisory... on a boat


1. Never leave for a 2 day sailing trip during a small vessel weather advisory.

2. Pray, a lot. 
Pray before, pray during, pray during some more, and then pray after.

3. Always double check that someone has packed the sunscreen.
Especially if we aren't going to be leaving the boat for two days and there's really no way to escape from the sun.

4. Riley keeps his cool during an emergency situation.

5.  I can also handle one surprisingly well.  Especially if I have a job to do.


6. Gidget can hold her bladder for 26 hours.  
Obviously, this is not a good thing (and caused me a lot of anxiety), but she was too stubborn to use the puppy pad for the entire first day.  We have never been so happy to see a yellow trickle in our lives.  Now adding "go pee-pee" to my list of overused phrases.

7.  When finally reaching the shore after 2 days, carry the dog until we find a patch of grass.  
Otherwise, she will leave an embarrassing display of just how full her bladder (and stuff) really was... down the entire length of the dock.  Really not the first impression we wanted to make at a new marina.

8. We don't get seasick. 

9. A little bit (or a lot) of sweat and dirt isn't going to kill me, but a shower sure makes the world feel right again.
Even a quick splash under a solar shower.  A cold one, since we were a little too distracted to remember to ever put it in the sun.


10. There's no one I'd rather be stuck on a small boat with than Riley.  
Or life in general.  I already knew this, otherwise I probably wouldn't have married him, but I think it's good to be reminded of this every so often.


Follow along: BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER

10 comments:

  1. Gaaah! I got a little stressed out reading this! Was the weather just too severe by the shore for you to dock? I'm not really a boat person so I'm not sure how all of that works. Either way, glad all three of you are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that handsome sailor! Make sure you tell Riley I said that. :) Can't wait for our trip this weekend! Let's hope it goes better than your last one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! What a weekend! I'm sorry it was a struggle. We were all thinking about and praying for you guys here in Tennessee. I hope your next trip goes better after this learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never went sailing but it sounds like you were very positive about your not so positive experience. Next time I hope the trip is more enjoyable!
    xoxo -B ♡
    http://msberrystylish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure it will be, we just had to get this learning experience out of the way :)

      Delete
  5. I love the way you are so honest and make sort of awful things sound funny! And great shot of Riley! annnnd Miss Giggles too. Poor little girl, she's gonna have to get used to that pee pad!!!! She's just too lady like I think..hurts her pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't he look so handsome? I like to think that she's just so well trained that she doesn't want to do anything wrong...haha, right?

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had quite the adventure!! I guess it's good practice for your long trip in the fall? It's nice to see you're still so positive :)

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style
    GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like so much fun! A bit worrisome with the emergency part...? But how awesome that you two stick together through it :) Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just catching up and am loving this story of your journey so far. Thanks for answering my question on Gidget's bladder and the longevity of the trips. I was wondering how she would do I cannot wait to read more!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...