Jul 23, 2013

zucchini bread


I'm sure everyone and their mother already has their tried and true recipe for zucchini bread.  What else do you do with an abundance of homegrown zucchini in the summer?  But seeing as how this is my first year growing my own zucchini, and seeing as how I never really approved of tainting my bread with vegetables during my younger years, I had never actually made any zucchini bread of my own.

I pulled the recipe from my mom's recipe box, the one filled to the brim with newspaper recipes that had been clipped by my great grandmother, and index cards scrawled with recipes that have been handed down through the generations.  That's where you find all of the really good recipes.  This particular one came from a family friend, at least 15 years ago.


Zucchini Bread
makes 2 loaves or 24 muffins

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
2 cups zucchini, grated
1 cup oil
3 teaspoons vanilla

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients thoroughly.  Grease and sugar 2 loaf pans.  Bake at 350° F for 1 hour (about 20 minutes for muffins) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Allow to cool on a cooling rack, and try not to eat it all in one sitting.



I've already made this recipe a few times this summer.  This time around I baked it with my sister, and didn't feel nearly as guilty when it disappeared so quickly.

What are some of your favorite family recipes?


Follow along: BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER

15 comments:

  1. I always had my doubts about zucchini bread, vegetables and sweet stuff? But if you already made it a few times, it must be good! I am a big fan of carrot cake, so I should give it a try! I like your floral plates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know! I've had my doubts for awhile now, too. But it's all good stuff, and it's still good even when you mix it all together :)

      Delete
  2. Every time I hear the word zucchini bread, I think...eww! And then I actually eat it and I think, Yummm!!! Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy! I always loved zuccchini bread but I have never made it myself. I think I might have to try now. My kids need to experience it. I won't be able to tell them there's a vegetable in it though, hehe :).
    Tiffany
    www.stylestealsandstilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good luck! The green bits always threw me off, but if you can get them to look past them, they'll probably like it! Now of course, I think the green makes it pretty! :)

      Delete
  4. I love how this recipe passed on through generations... And how beautiful is your mom's recipe box. I've never tried zucchini bread too, but i've had vegetarian tart that had zucchini in it. It's yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's one of those things that I saw so often growing up that I just took it for granted. But now I can appreciate the sentiment and charm in that messy little box! :)

      Delete
  5. I'll have to give it a try! My sister loves zucchini bread but I've never had it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to pass on to you mama's chocolate zucchini cake recipe. It has cocoa in the batter AND chocolate chips. Riley and I grew up on the stuff....she got the recipe from a friend before I was born. Oldie but tooootal goodie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no that sounds dangerous! I already had a hard time with self control as it was :)

      Delete
  7. ooo! and I love your plates! Are they new????!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait...or did you make this at your mama's?

      Delete
    2. No new plates for me! It's just one from a random collection.

      Delete
  8. Hi Allison! This looks so scrumptious and your pictures are amazing! Over from the hop and excited to be a new follower :) Hope you can stop by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...