Aug 2, 2013

5 on friday: the wedding edition!

Today Riley and I are celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary!  I'm always fascinated by other people's weddings; hearing what unique things made the day meaningful and personal to them as a couple.  
So in honor of five years of marriage, here are five of my favorite things about our own wedding:


1. It was personal.  We got married in a small, historic church in a town near my parents house.  We had a small bridal party with just a few of our closest friends and family, people who will hold special places in our lives forever.  Family member participated in readings and music and it meant the world to us.


2. It was simple.  I was in my senior year of college when we got engaged, and we got married not long after I graduated.  Thank goodness Pinterest did not exist yet, or I would have never gotten any work done!  We also had a small budget for our wedding, and (for the most part) we stuck to it.  I made all of the wedding stationary myself, a family friend made our wedding cake, we bought the bouquets but made the table arrangements ourselves, and we hired a caterer, DJ, and photographer.  It wasn't extravagant by any means, but it was still beautiful.


3. It was meaningful.  This is not the most flattering picture, by any means, but I love the moment it captured.  My sister, and maid of honor, gave the most wonderful toast that had us both laughing and crying.  It was perfect!


4. It was fun.  Confession... I was a terrible hostess at our wedding.  I had plenty of time to eat, drink and dance to every song that I wanted to (and there were a lot... remember this post?).  I was so relaxed and I had an absolute blast.  Looking back, I can only hope that everyone else had fun, too.


5. It was memorable.  One of my favorite moments during the wedding was completely unplanned.  Our last song was "Time of My Life,"  which is special to us because Riley took me to the location of the movie Dirty Dancing on one of our first dates.  While we danced, our family and friends grabbed hands and gathered around us in a circle.  It was the perfect way to end the party.

Okay, maybe just one more.  Because the absolute best part of the wedding was becoming the wife of this goofball:


These past five years have been the hardest and the happiest, and I can't wait to see what the next five (and ten, and twenty...) bring!


Linking up today with The Good LifeA. Liz AdventuresCarolina Charm, and Hello! Happiness for Five on Friday!

          


19 comments:

  1. Your wedding looks beautiful and congrats on five years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos are wonderful! Congratulations--enjoy the next 5 years as much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a feeling we will :)

      Delete
  3. What great photos! Your smiles show just how much in love you are and how much fun you had on your wedding day :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything that involves weddings! Say yes to the dress is a favourite and I like that show where Tori Spelling plans weddings. I love that second picture and the church looks like a very special place. Congrats with your anniversary, hope you'll have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've seen Say Yes to the Dress, but not Tori Spelling's show... now I'm curious!

      Delete
  5. I like intimate handmade weddings! All the photos are beautiful, but especially the one with you laughing/crying :)
    Happy Anniversary to you and Riley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved your wedding, Allison. It was classic and beautiful. Happy Anniversary! I've loved watching you and Riley in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary to you! Great pictures, especially the next to last. It looks like a perfect time. I saw you on the link up! :)

    http://www.fitnessblondie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo of ya'll dancing is just precious and I love that everyone surrounded you like that. What a special moment. Happy five years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I loved reminiscing on that special day....and remembering how awesome I looked with my hair done and that great dress;) hehehe jk!
    I loved how you ended the post. That photo has always cracked me up--SO Riley :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and I Love that the photos people are liking are mine ;) ...mine before I actually knew how to use a camera!! :)
      love you!

      Delete
    2. Haha. I had them all mixed up, but I figured probably the best ones were yours. Don't know what I would have done without them.

      Delete
  10. Happy anniversary!! Congrats on 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute! Love seeing pics of your special day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, I missed this because I've been on a trip, but I wanted to pop in now and say that you guys are so cute! We got engaged our senior year of college, too, but didn't get married until about 18 months later. I didn't even want to start planning until I was done with school. And you're absolutely right about Pinterest--I'm kind of bummed it wasn't around yet, but ultimately I know it was for the best, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 5th to the both of you! I wish you spend more years together. Your wedding looks grand and fantastic, by the way! The third and fourth photos look amazing to me. Those shots show that you really enjoyed your wedding! Well, who wouldn't dance to the beat if the DJ had the best music? I wonder what was the music you had back then. Was it country music, reggae, or did you go for electronic dance music?

    Ka Lamm @ IDJ.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, we had a little bit of everything... from a little bit of country and bluegrass for Riley's family, to a little bit of the "greatest" hits of the nineties for mine. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...