Aug 12, 2013

an unpretentious, painting weekend


I spent a very unglamorous, but productive weekend painting our basement. Sometimes I feel so pretentious always saying, "Oh, we went to the boat again this weekend..." (I used my best Mrs. Howell voice for that, just so you know). It's never nearly as glamorous as it sounds, but still. Now painting, on the other hand, there is nothing pretentious about scooting around on your butt in your old clothes painting baseboard trim. It's been so strange getting our house ready for someone else to live in. But, that's another story for another day.

We did have a small miracle this weekend. We finally found something that I am better at than Riley. Now, depending on who you ask, there may or may not be several things that I am actually better at, but this is the first one that Riley will readily admit to. I am better at painting! Yay? I feel like this is not quite as an exciting victory as it should be. Because, whoever is better at painting gets to do the majority of it while the other one says things like, "well, you probably don't really want me to do this, anyway..." This leads me to suspect the validity of his confession of inferiority in the first place. But, I guess I'll take what I can get.

I've been training for over two decades to develop the skill that would one day best my husband.  My technique has improved slightly over the years. 
My dad came over to help us on Sunday, which I was really grateful for, since he is the fastest painter and best cutter-iner I know.  I suppose I should give him some credit for my "talent."  Between the three of us we were able to get a first coat on everything.  Guess what my homework is for the rest of the week?



Follow along: BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER

11 comments:

  1. The next time we need a room painted...come on over, I'd appreciate the help ;-)
    So, you're moving house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it'd be a bit of a trip, otherwise I'd be glad to help! We're going to be renting it out while we take our sailing trip.

      Delete
  2. I really like painting time with my husband, especially when we're painting our bedroom white, plain white, and put some wall stickers afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I just came across your blog - it's adorable :) I love how you point out how unpretentious painting is, as I spent the weekend painting my kitchen and had the same thoughts. Where are you moving? xoxo, eliza

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I just read in your About Me that you live in Virginia?! So cool because so do I! Where are you guys? We live in Blacksburg :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute photo of you there with your dad! Looked like you had a lot of practice since you were little :) I should train my kids to paint the wall, instead of doodling on the sofa lol..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have... seems like I'm always painting something! Haha, I'm sure they'd love to paint the wall... just maybe not the way you would hope :)

      Delete
  6. I really really don't like painting. My living room is in need of some colour, so I guess I should just do it! The picture of you and your dad is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I understand completely, it can get a little tedious.

      Delete
  7. Great picture of you and your dad :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...