Aug 13, 2013

did I mention that we'll be living on a sailboat?

I mentioned several times, here and there, about the sailing trip that Riley and I are taking in the fall, but I don't know that I've ever really explained it in detail.

For the past couple of years, Riley has been talking about buying a sailboat and taking off for several months on a long sailing trip.  At first, it started out as a vague dream, "someday, I want to do this..." and then as a "this is what I want to do when I retire" kind of plan.  Riley has a lot of dreams and a lot of hobbies, so I admit, sometimes I kind of tune him out when he starts talking like this.  But as time went on, his desire and sense of urgency about taking this kind of trip only increased.  Sometime last year, I realized just how serious he was, and just how much he needed something like this.  We were in our mid twenties and had been married for four years at this point.  We both had steady jobs, but knew that we would want to be making some changes in the next few years as far as having kids and moving, etc.  I finally told Riley, "It's now or never."  That's all he needed to hear.  We started planning our trip for two years out, but that didn't last long.  The more we talked and dreamed about it, the more excited we got, and there was just no way we would be able to wait that long.  We started talking to our bosses about it, letting them know that this was a serious possibility (we both worked for small companies where our absence would be felt) and that we hoped to leave within the year.

Buying the boat. The first big step!
We found our boat last December.  Winbrandt is a 1980 C&C 30 sailboat.  She needed quite a bit of work, and we have spent the last several months getting her back in shape and ready to make the trip.  Riley can fix just about anything himself, and if he can't, he learns how to.  We saved quite a bit of money by buying an older boat and using a lot of elbow grease (and blood, sweat, and tears).  She is at a marina in North Carolina and we live in Virginia, so we've logged a lot of hours making the trip back and forth.  We've also been busy at home trying to get our house ready to rent.

A fresh coat of paint (among many other things!) and ready to be put back in the water.
We always said that we were going to leave in the fall.  It always sounded so far away.  But here it is August already, and fall is right around the corner.  It will be impossible to say for sure when exactly we are leaving, but it will most likely be sometime in October.  We will be moving out of our house at the beginning of the month and will eventually move onto the boat.  Our hope is to leave from New Bern, NC and sail down the coast and to the Bahamas.  The purpose of the trip is the journey, however, not the destination, and we plan to not plan too much.  Riley has told his boss that he will be gone for several months (I ended up leaving my job a lot sooner than I had intended, for multiple reasons), but since neither of us has ever done anything like this before, it's hard to say for sure.


So, that's the gist of it.  There is so much left to do, and so many variables that could still change, but we have been so blessed to have gotten this far. Prayers have been answered and doors have been opened, and it really seems like this is going to happen.  This is a new and unknown path that we are embarking on, and I'm so excited to share this journey with you!



Follow along: BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER

25 comments:

  1. This is amazing! How exciting! Can't wait to follow along on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope that I will be able to do it justice!

      Delete
  2. Good luck! What an amazing adventure with stories that you will be telling your children and grandchildren one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Here's hoping that they're mostly good stories! ;)

      Delete
  3. WOW! What a fun adventure!! I'm very jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, can't wait to live vicariously through you. I always envy people who can go after crazy dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm amazing!! Stopping by to get all updated. Gosh your blog is adorable. I'm envious of your sailboat livin :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! I can't wait to hear all about it. I'm so inspired (and jealous?) of your non plan. This is pretty much one of the coolest things ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am do glad I found your blog - sounds like just in time to read all about your adventures!!

    If my husband read this, he would die, and we would be as well.
    He loves sailing.
    Gosh, are you as excited as he is?
    *(because I am!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, that is so exciting! I'm scared of boats (well, I despise them, haha) so I think you're very brave as well :)
    found you through the blog hop, following on bloglovin'!
    www.thisanalogadventure.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What the what?! That's so cool! Are you going to bring the dog? Good luck getting your ducks in a row before you take off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Come see us! Although, by October we could be gone from here. Rob is supposed to get his wings Sept 13th and we are hoping to be sent to Norfolk, Va next, but don't know for sure yet. Excited to follow along throughout the journey! Miss you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope for your sake that you'll be closer to home by then! :) I sure do miss you though!!

      Delete
  11. this is cool,new GFC follower
    hope you can visit my <a href="http://michperez.blogspot.com/2013/08/five-on-friday-1.html>Five for Friday</a>

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting! So happy for you and I can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a fun time! I hope you'll be able to blog a little here and there while you're gone so we can "come along" for the ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats Allison! This is an amazing opportunity and an amazing adventure! Ya'll will have a blast! My family sailed the British and American Virgin Islands for 2 weeks and it was one of our best trips ever. I can't wait to follow the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This sounds like an amazing opportunity and its so great that you guys are able to pursue this dream! I'm happy for you guys :)


    Brianna
    endlesslybeloved.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is AMAZING. Go you two!! Following your dreams is brave and hard, but never lets you down. I can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woah!!! This is so exciting! I can't wait to hear all about your travels. This is so inspiring to see you guys just taking the chance and going for it. Ummm, room for two more?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. um. WOW. I think that is the only word for this, WOW. I admire your courage and sense of adventure! I'm excited to read all about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an incredible journey. I am very jealous and can't wait to follow along.
    Stopping by to say hello from the Blogtember linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  20. just came across your blog - can't wait to follow you through this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! What a life of adventure you have! High-five!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...