Aug 27, 2013

fried green tomatoes

Although I live in Virginia now, I don't have a single ounce of southern in me.  My family moved from Maryland when I was a teenager, and even though it is technically below the Mason-Dixon line, there was some other imaginary line we must have crossed when we entered Virginia, because all of a sudden we were clearly in the South.

I say "you guys" instead of "y'all," and "cart" instead of "buggy."  I had never had grits before or sausage gravy and biscuits.  And I had certainly never fried anything.  So when Riley came inside from checking on the garden the other day and declared that we should make fried green tomatoes, my first thought was "... and we can watch the movie while we eat them!" (Because clearly I love any excuse for a themed dinner, even if it's just the two of us.)  But my second thought was, "how in the world do you fry a tomato?"

But with my southern country boy beside me, to tell me things like "that's not enough oil," we managed to fry up some delicious fried green tomatoes.  And yes, then we watched the movie.

Fried Green Tomatoes
recipe adapted from here

1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
Vegetable oil
Salt to taste



In one shallow bowl, add 1/4 cup of flour.
In another bowl, combine the egg and buttermilk.
In a third bowl, combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper.

Add oil to a depth of about 1/4 inch (I also added a little bacon grease, as well) in a large skillet; heat to 375°. 
First, dredge tomato slices in the flour, then dip in egg mixture, and then dredge in cornmeal mixture.
Gently drop tomatoes into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. 
Allow to drain on paper towels or a cooling rack.


I was surprised at just how much I liked them!  
And then, just for good measure, we stuck them on blt's.  And Riley declared it the best sandwich he's ever had.  And that boy knows his blt's.


Have you ever fried green tomatoes before?  I felt a little out of my element, I confess, but it was definitely well worth the try!


Follow along: BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER

I'm linking up with Jessica and Ashley today!

27 comments:

  1. Haha LOVE your post! Having grown up in Virgina I defiantly feel a true Southern calling but I have actually never fried green tomatoes before! I eat them a lot, does that count? Try them next time sandwiched between sliced mozzarella cheese with bazil and sprinkle some oil oil and balsamic over! Delish!

    www.virginiasweet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my goodness, that does sound really good!! I will have to try that!

      Delete
  2. I just had fried green tomatoes for the first time last weekend! They were SO good! And I'm like you, I've never fried anything myself, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Glad yours turned out so good! Thanks for linking up with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't never tried fried green tomatoes but always wanted too since he movie. Needless to say they look delish and I just need to try them now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really tasty. I've never had fried green tomatoes before. I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy yum!!! I literally just tried fried green tomatoes for the first time this past weekend! I instantly fell in love and couldn't believe this southern girl waited so long! Such a good idea to put them on a sandwich, since I'm not the biggest fan of tomatoes! Thanks for linking up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried frying tomatoes. nut seeying these pictures I am shure I will give them a try! I love your pale pink and golden plates :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. One of my favorite movies of all time haha 2. I have always wanted to try/make fried green tomatoes...looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny...I grew up in Illinois, definitely not a southern state, but it was a rural area and we always had fried green tomatoes! (and biscuits and gravy) They are tasty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite things to eat. Yum, yum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfectly executed for a Non-Southerner!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never fried them before, but I have eaten them once at a restaurant in Chicago. I LOVE the idea of putting them on a BLT! I love BLTs so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! I've never made my own friend green tomatoes! And love the idea of putting them on a sandwich! Great pictures too. ;)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, I'm totally with you on the non southern lingo! I definitely say "you guys" too. Part of me wishes I could say y'all but people would probably look at me crazy here in Canada. :)

    These look fabulous. I've never tried them fried but will add to my must try list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I know. I have nothing against "y'all" but it would just never come naturally out of my mouth :)

      Delete
  14. So cool! Good for you for dipping into your husbands culinary history...sorta brave of you. I laughed out loud at "not enough oil". Ew!

    I've never tried fried green tomatoes. But I'm all over a themed dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I felt certain it could be done with less oil. But I guess, if you're going to do it, might as well do it up right :)

      Delete
  15. I love the idea of a themed dinner! This project sounds a bit intimidating to me but I might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. frying always sounded intimidating to me for some reason. But it was pretty easy... and kinda fun, too :)

      Delete
  16. Never eat them, but it looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my sweet little 'sis'. You should well know by now I'm crazy for fried green tomatoes.... (the fgt appetizer at Magnolia in Charleston is 100% worth the 6 hour drive)...but I confess, I am HORRIBLE at making them. And gravy. I LOVE gravy. But I can't make it....
    It all boils down to the amount of grease...and I just never can add enough. I just can't bring myself to do it.
    But that never stops me from eating all the gravy n biscuits, and FGT when we go somewhere with them on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably just needed Riley's help... that's the only way I managed ;)
      I have to confess, I read this through thinking "I wonder what fgt is?"
      haha, it came to me... eventually.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Riley is the Master of (nearly) Everything...and if he isn't, he will at least think he is and you can't help but go with it! :)
      IF we get to meet up with y'all in Charleston we will HAVE to take you to Magnolia for their FGT (glad you get it now) appetizer. Lauren and I decided next time we'd EACH have to order our OWN and make the meal!!! Bed of grits with just a hint of cheese, the tomatoes are layered with country ham, and topped with this....it's hard to describe. Its like a fresh chunky sauce that has vidalias and fresh tomatoes...then there is a spicy sauce around the border of the plate...seems like maybe some arugula too....oh my just thinking about it makes me ready to drive down and order a plate! :)

      Delete
  18. I'm not sure that I've tried Fried Green Tomatoes but the movie is in my top 3! Those look delicious!

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...