Aug 20, 2013

grilled peaches and mozzarella


Did you know that August is National Peach Month?  Naturally, it must be celebrated.  I was looking for a new and interesting side dish to try, because all too often I resort back to the same old boring side salad.  When I came across this recipe, it reminded me of a caprese salad, and looked equally easy and delicious.  And easy and delicious are the only two qualifications I have for random food holiday celebrations.

Grilled Peach and Mozzarella Salad
adapted from here

1 peach, peeled and chopped
3 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons tequila
1/3 cup olive oil

4 peaches, sliced (1/4-inch)
6 oz. baby arugula
3/4 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 16 (1/4-inch) slices


1. Combine first 10 ingredients in a food processor for about 10-15 seconds, or until smooth. Add oil, and pulse until thoroughly combined. 


2. Coat grill grate with cooking oil, then preheat on medium-high. Brush both sides of peach rounds with peach dressing and grill for about 3-5 minute on each side, or until grill marks appear.


3. Dress each plate with arugula, then alternately layer grilled peach rounds and mozzarella slices on top (I layered mine three times then added a few extra peaches on the top). Drizzle with remaining peach dressing.

In Riley's professional opinion, each bite really needs to consist of all three components in order to get the maximum flavor experience.


Speaking of peaches, does anyone else remember the song "Peaches" (by The Presidents of the United States of America)? I literally cannot say the word "peaches" without thinking "peaches come from a can..." (usually out loud, in song form.) Riley thinks I'm crazy, but I swear it was a real song.


Follow along: BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER

I'm linking up with Jessica and Ashley today!

15 comments:

  1. peaches come from a can
    they were put there by a man
    in a factory downtowwn..

    hehe...I also think of that song whenever I hear/say peaches.

    This looks delicious! I might have to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

      Delete
  2. "Moving to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches :)" LOL

    I would have never thought to put peaches and cheese together, but this sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a little trouble imagining peaches and mozzarella together, but I adore peaches and I think I might try this. My only trouble is a live in an apartment and I don't have a grill. I keep seeing recipes with grilled peaches and it makes me so sad that I can't try them :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you could try them in a skillet? It might be similar?

      Delete
  4. This must be delicious! I love fresh mozzarella with fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I would never have thought of this combo, but it looks really good! I am sharing a peach recipe on my blog today, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious! I really need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea it was national peach month! I completely agree that it much be celebrated though! This looks delish! Glad you linked up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Millions of peaches.... I haven't heard that song in ages!

    I like the look of these peaches, I bet it would work with goats cheese too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck getting it out of your head now :)
      Yum, I bet it would be delicious with goat cheese!

      Delete
  9. Yum! I just bought some peaches the other day. I'll be sad when summer's over and peaches aren't ripe and cheap anymore. This is the kind of recipe that makes me wish we had a grill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow.. this is right up my alley. Looks amazing!!

    Loving your blog.

    XO,
    Catherine (your newest follower via GFC)
    FEST

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by today (lemon garlic shrimp pasta) :)!!! I agree it is always better made for you! I would have never thought to put peaches and mozzarella together but every single one of those ingredients sounds great and looks like something from a magazine! I will have to give this a try as I love peaches and cheese!
    I looked around your blog and I think it is so cool about y'all's sail boat venture! My family has wanted to do a vacation on a huge one but just haven't gotten around to doing it! Congrats on dreaming big and getting there :)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! This looks so amazing. I've never tried grilling fruit before but I clearly need to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...