Aug 28, 2013

packing it up


We're in full on packing mode around here.  We have five weeks until we need to be out of our house.  I've moved before, but this time feels different.  We are leaving our first home, the one that Riley built with his own two hands, the one that we've lived in together for the past five years.  Typically when you move out of a place, you can at least picture where you're going next.  But I can't. We're just moving to... the water.  On a sailboat.

I have this strange urge to run around the house taking pictures of all of the rooms just as they are, before I pack the pieces away into boxes.  As if an image could preserve all of the memories, safe and undisturbed forever.  Maybe I'm just trying to put off the inevitable.  I mean, what would one even do with those sorts of pictures anyway?

I have a strange relationship with this house.  To be perfectly honest, I was never completely on board with living here to begin with.  Riley had started building it before I was even in the picture.  His plan was to build a house that could be used as two rental apartments for the future.  A smart plan to be sure, but as a newlywed excited about starting a life together, I was a little bitter about not having any say in where we were going to live, or the fact that our house was essentially a tiny apartment out in the middle of nowhere above an unfinished basement/garage.  Before you judge me too harshly, just know that I am completely aware of how blessed we are to have had a house in the first place, and that these feelings were completely trivial.  But still, I have always anticipated the day when we would be able to make these kinds of decisions together.

But now, I find myself strangely sentimental about it.  Even though we will still own it, we're not planning to move back in (obviously we can't say for sure at this point), and it will become home to someone else.  It was our first and it holds so many memories.  We poured ourselves into making it a house, and then a home.  And as I start to pack the tangible pieces of our memories away into boxes, I know that I will be leaving behind a little part of my heart in their place.


Follow along: BLOGLOVIN | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER

22 comments:

  1. Moving is definitely difficult, but it sounds like you are starting such an amazing adventure! It's such an inspiration to go for something big while you are still young. Good luck with all the packing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still so excited for y'alls adventure! I can only imagine how bittersweet packing is, but I know you have a fabulous experience ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh friend, what a season in your life! It's exciting that you guys are off to adventure on the water, but still so hard to leave a home. I'm glad that there are such good memories in a house, in a home that wasn't at first wanted - which is a blessing in itself. Good luck with your packing, and enjoying the sweet weeks ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, that is such a blessing! I hadn't really thought of it like that before :)
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. You are so brave, Allison! I think it's allowed to get a bit sentimental about your first home as a married couple :) Good luck with packing up your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about brave... but thanks! :)

      Delete
  5. Good luck with all the packing! I don't even know what to take with me for a weekend, I can't imagine how hard it would be to be packing for such a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have the hardest time, too. But over the course of the last few months, I have gotten REALLY good at packing a quick weekend bag! Lots of practice :)

      Delete
  6. Good Luck with the move! Ask me all about it... we just moved from US Texas to all the way to Singapore a few months back!! It was both painful and exciting, Just as you mentioned about taking pics... well I took a pic of every room from every corner, although we did not build the house but it was me and my hubby's first home together, we painted it a bit, did a ton of DIY projects and the worst part is we got to live there just for 8 moths!! Sometimes we just have to move on....the sweet memories stay forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so funny how things you don't expect to become attached to or enjoy end up becoming such a big part of you. My husband and I couldn't stand living in Indiana when we did (we had moved from downtown Chicago to the middle of nowhere). Now that we're back in a city, we miss the serenity, the nature and the isolation of it all.

    Good luck with all your packing! (And I know this is late coming, but thanks so much for the comment on my blog from last week! I'm so glad you left one so I could find your blog!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider me your newest follower. Your blog is just darling. :)

      Delete
    2. That's always the way, isn't it. The grass is always greener... :) I know that I'm going to miss some of the things I think I can't stand now. It some ways it could be a good thing, hopefully it will help us discover what it is that we really want out of our surroundings, maybe?

      Thanks!!

      Delete
  8. Wow alison.. Where are you going? It's always hard leaving home ... especially if it's your 1st with hubby. But I'm sure you would have a great new adventure wherever you're going to next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to be living on a sailboat for a few months, and hopefully find or build another house when we return. We are hoping for an adventure! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Oh I really feel for you. I would have a very difficult time leaving the only home we've known since getting married. I would totally take pictures - as many as you need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to take pictures of my childhood bedroom before I moved out. When I decided I was tired of my wall paper, I just started writing all over it. I had people sign it and draw on it...it was so cool. And I had collected so many cool things that wouldn't have a place in a new home. I say take pics of every room...memories rock :)
    Good luck with all the packing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Moving is such a big change! best of luck with the move! I have just found your blog and I am now following you on Bloglovin :)

    Rowdy Fairy Blog
    Follow Me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand...I agreed to buy this little house bc Laurens other "option" when we were getting married was to live in a trailer (ME? in a TRAILER??) and save to build. I always knew I wanted to buy the family farmhouse, so to me I just wanted a place to stay til that could happen. And before all the work we put into this place it was SO embarrassing (though better than a trailer I thought) and now the thought of renting it out is killing me! Will they take care of the hydrangeas I planted with such high hopes of their beauty?? Will they appreciate the railing boxes and fill them to brimming with flowers so they look like they grace the streets of Charlestons? Will they appreciate the neutral colored berber carpet instead of the orange shag we ripped out??
    Y'all just have to promise not to move too far away ...otherwise I'll have to force y'all into a weekly family dinner night or something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really have done so much to the house! Trying not to care about it anymore is going to be the hardest part!
      I'm sorry I missed the orange shag :)

      Delete
  13. Moving involved so many mixed emotions doesn't it?

    Cheers,

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully written post :) That's so great that you two put so much time and effort into it. I think that's what makes a house so special--the work you put into making it a home.

    It must be hard to move away from it but just know, should you both change your mind, you still own it and could always move back in right? And hey, you're about to go live your dream on the water! That's as good of an excuse as any to move right?

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...