Sep 27, 2013

5 things that Facebook is still doing right

Our Facebook friends catch a lot of flack, don't they? We don't like it when they incite out of control political debates, post vague "woe is me" statuses, take too many duck-lipped photos, or discuss their children's bodily functions.

We really don't though, so stop it.

Also annoying... sponsored posts.  WHY was this on my newsfeed?!  I can't even READ it!

However, I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge the few things that Facebook friends are still doing right:

1. Accepting my friend requests.  

To the Facebook friend that I don't really know,
Remember that time, years ago, when I just signed up for Facebook, was in dire need of "friends" so I added you even though I didn't really know you all that well? No, actually you probably don't. Thanks for accepting me anyway. I still feel awkward about that and I promise that I don't do it anymore.

2. Liking and commenting on my posts.

To the Facebook friend that just hit "like,"
You probably don't know how much that totally just made my day! I keep a low profile on my personal Facebook, and I really don't talk to you in real life either, so it kind of took me by surprise. I promise to try to be better about returning the favor.

3. Wishing me Happy Birthday.

To the Facebook friend that wrote Happy Birthday on my wall,
You are super sweet! I apologize in advance for missing your birthday because I never logged on to see the reminder.

4. Allowing me to crash weddings.

To the Facebook friend that just got married,
Thank you for posting all of your wedding pictures.  You didn't invite me to your wedding in real life, but I am super nosy when it comes to these things and I appreciate the opportunity to judge your choice of venue, attire and decor.  It was ok.  

5. Keeping my list of baby names updated.

To the Facebook friend that just had a baby,
Congratulations!  Your baby is cute and all, but I really just wanted to find out what you named it.  I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized that the name you chose was cute enough to approve of, but not quite cute enough to be on my list of names for my own future children.

Would this be the appropriate time for a shameless plug?  'Like' The Bauble Dept. on Facebook!

So spill, what is your biggest pet peeve about Facebook?  And is there anything else that you still like about it?

 

16 comments:

  1. I agree that I hate sponsored posts. I intentionally went through and turned off "Comments and Likes" and now they've started sponsoring them so I can't make them not show up! Grrrr! I do like that sometimes I hear from friends I haven't talked to in a long time though. It's nice to be able to chat once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this, Allison! I kept hoping I would be able to come up with a way to make today's post a bit more positive. And let's just say - you totally schooled me in that department. Great idea. Also, I've only read two of these posts so far (other than mine) and I just want to say that it's a little scary how we all seem to like/dislike the same types of posts. Wonder if it's a blogger thing or an everybody thing? I'm probably gonna have to go with the latter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wouldn't say "schooled!" But I'm glad that my attempt to put a positive spin on it worked. :) Yeah, I think I'd have to go with an everybody thing, too.

      Delete
  3. The wedding crasher thing is so true. I've friended people just to check out wedding pics! I'm such a creeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm such a creeper checking out wedding photos too!!!

    I love the happy birthday comment too. I always feel bad when people who I haven't kept in touch with wish me a happy birthday and then I forget theirs so I don't log in... eek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #4 had me in tears!! :'D

    My biggest pet peeve is the "vaguebooking". Passive-aggressive posts and those diatribes that were clearly meant for one specific person but posted as a status without anyone tagged in it. I don't get why they don't just message that person privately. Also, the "hi haters" status. I roll my eyes at every single one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vaguebooking! I knew there had to be a name for it. I agree completely.

      Delete
  6. nice twist on the post for today :) totally agree with #4--i love being able to browse weddings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why they even still interest me so much! I mean, I was obsessed with wedding stuff before I got married, but now I've already planned my own and all and I still can't get enough, haha.

      Delete
  7. Haha, this is great! I keep thinking about getting rid of my personal facebook account, but I have a lot of college "friends" getting married soon and I sooo want to see their pictures! It also makes my day when someone comes out of the woodwork to "like" something I posted. I think I'll hang on to facebook just a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this post!! I died laughing at the baby name thing. So, so true. Everything about it was spot on, except I'm not bothered by excessive children or political posts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually get on every couple of days but posting is rare. I only get on with my phone and the app drives me crazy. Full of stuff like what you showed in the beginning... Facebook is not Pinterest. I don't want to see recipes and such.

    BUT, I do like that even though I may not be doing a great job keeping up, there are people keeping up with me. Does make me feel special!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Duck lipped photos, haha, funny! Everyone likes to have 'some' attention. Even if it is a 'like' for some silly thing you post. Heck, snail mail hardly comes anymore, we have to get something to boost us, right?

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're completely right... we're all guilty of seeking attention at some point in one way or another. Some of us just think we're being more subtle about it, haha. :)

      Delete
  11. Hahaha I love being nosy about wedding photos too! Facebook is good for being nosy in general, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I didn't think that I was a very nosy person, but the fact that I will probably never willingly give up my personal facebook account certainly says otherwise. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...