Sep 12, 2013

a blog is a dangerous animal

I still remember the exact moment that my grandmother told me about blogs.  Yes, my grandmother.  She was pretty excited about being "in the know."  I really couldn't have cared less about these "web-logs."  I wasn't really into computer-y stuff anyway.  Now that I think back on it, she did know what a blog was, but she didn't really know.

First, I started reading them.  I watched these fabulous bloggers get married, have kids, make delicious meals, and just wear really nice clothes.  Like, everyday.

Then, I started writing one.  "What in the world are you going to write about?" my husband asked.  "You don't really do anything."  So, I was off to a pretty promising start.

Now, I've found myself in the middle of this Blogtember blog challenge.  Today's writing prompt says:
Discuss ways that blogging or social media has changed you.

Here's my dilemma.  Blogging has probably changed me in all the exact same ways that it has changed every other one of the 156 million (as of Feb. 2011) bloggers in the universe.  I can't write that.  So my mind starts to race and my palms get sweaty.  How do you produce amazing, creative, and eloquent thoughts on demand?!  It's the night before the link up and I can't think of a single creative thing to say.  Any OCD good blogger knows you can't just skip it. If I don't write a post, no one will click on my link.  If no one clicks on my link, no one will read my blog!  If no one reads my blog, no one will comment!  NO ONE WILL FOLLOW!

So, I do what any other blogger would do in the same situation.  I ask my dog.

Gidget rarely ever has the answer.  I hate to say it, but really, she's just not that creative.  Unless of course, she's walking on her two front legs or something. Mostly she just gives me that blank stare.  You know, the one that means, "Think of it yourself, stupid."

Great. That means I have to ask Riley.  I really try putting this off for as long as possible because, Riley always has the answer.  To everything.  He doesn't really know how blogging has changed me, but he sure knows how it has changed him.

"Well,"  he says, "I've gotten really good at photography.  Also, I usually lose a couple pounds while waiting for my dinner to be photographed.  And, my dependence on Gidget to keep me company in the evenings has increased."

But no, no that won't do at all.  And so, I sit at my laptop, a complete and utter failure as a blogger.  For, I never even thought of anything clever to say.  

And, worst of all, I committed the ultimate blogging sin...

I published a post without a single picture.

27 comments:

  1. Thats a new rule!... I didn't know that publishing a post without a picture was a sin.. I usually put posts with lots of pictures of my garden!.. But, doing this challenge to get me thinking outside the box and broaden what I write about I haven't once included a picture. yikes!...
    Thanks for the heads up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not a hard and fast rule :) Sometimes it just seems like it's harder to engage people when you don't give them anything but words to look at. Which shouldn't necessarily always be the case!

      Delete
  2. I think this is just so perfect. It highlights, in the most adorably coy way, the ways you've changed since you started blogging! No one without a blog has probably ever sat at their computer, sweaty palmed. Or asked their dog...anything. And we, as readers, walk away not knowing if you've really realized the ways you've changed. But we, pretty clearly, get to see it. Oh, the literary tactics I've picked up this Blogtember. So thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment! SO great. And totally true. Sometimes I'll have a thought and immediately follow it up with "WHOA. Normal people do not think like that. Only bloggers!" But those thoughts are fun and all part of the journey.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Lauren! It's always a relief to hear that someone "gets" what I'm trying to say! :) You summed it up perfectly. Thank you so much for your comment!

      Delete
  3. haha, this made me laugh :) That makes a successful post, in my opinion!
    www.thisanalogadventure.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the most creative takes on today's prompt. I giggled at your ultimate sin! :)

    Akshita @ The Writer's Nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a compliment! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. This post is so cute! I ask my dog for advice all the time! She usually just stares at me or brings me a toy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're one step ahead of me then. My dog won't bring me anything :)

      Delete
  6. You're not a failure! I love reading your posts and honest takes on life. Don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouraging words! :)

      Delete
  7. I never thought of 'no picture posts' as a sin. You definitely made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post, very well written! I always like your posts, a lot. Even if there aren't any photo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marieken! That's so kind of you to say!!

      Delete
  9. I loved the ending of your post the most. I recently wrote a post about what I learned after running 8 blogs and one of them was that I don't have to be "Pinterest-able" and have a photo in every photo and that sometimes, by golly, words are enough. And, my dear, your words were enough here. I just pictured you chatting with your dog on this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Love Riley's answer. Don't even need a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is so stinking cute! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute. That would be my husbands exact answer. The 'do we really have to instagram every moment of our lives' discussion happens a lot in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, I love your sense of humor. Just stumbled upon your blog and am finding your voice refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's such a nice compliment! :)

      Delete
  14. For not having any creative ideas to write about today, you churned out a pretty creative post. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's amazing how sometimes we can say so much even when we have nothing to say ;)

      Delete
  15. You are lucky to have Riley. Jordan is a terrible photographer. That is, when I can even convince him to take pictures of me in the first place. He's kind of lame. Don't tell him I said that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldn't have described every blogger's dilemma any better! That feeling where you need to post something... it's been too many days since you last did, but what? I have nothing to say. Nothing so share. No one will read, no one will follow... I love how you put the scary truth right out there. :) But I'm learning, for me personally, it's okay if I don't post "regularly." What is the definition of "regularly" anyhow? And then I sometimes worry about the fact that the majority of my posts are link up and prompts so I need to post something REAL. haha. Oh, the blogger dramas!!!

    Happy Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...