Sep 2, 2013

a glimpse of what's to come

As much time as we spend at the boat on the weekends, we don't actually spend that much time sailing.  And even less time anchored out in the water overnight.  Staying on the boat at the marina is one thing, you can hop off, take a hot shower at the bath house, jump in your car to run an errand, whatever.  But at anchor, well, you're sort of tied down.  And there's a whole lot of learning left to do.

This, my friends, is how it goes out at anchor.
do you see the dolphin fins??
You spend a gorgeous day out on the water.  The sky is clear and there's just enough breeze to keep you cool.  You have an autopilot now, so you can spend more time leisurely admiring the other boats taking advantage of the holiday weekend, or the houses with their stunning views and prime waterfront locations.  You find a spot to anchor out by late afternoon so that you have plenty of time to do nothing before dinner.  You take a quick splash in the river to cool off, then you throw something on the grill, watch the dolphins playing nearby, and pick up your book just in time to soak up the last few hours of daylight.

As you watch the sunset over the water, you admire the beauty of creation and wonder over how you became so blessed as to have an experience such as this.  You can't believe that you ever doubted or stressed over the details of an extended sailing trip because, isn't this probably the closest thing to heaven on earth?  Night falls and you go to bed because, well, it's dark and what else are you going to do?
But... things look awfully different in the dark.  Your hair is still wet from the river and now your pillow is wet, your neck is wet, and the collar of your t-shirt is, too.  There is no power for things like hairdryers. You let your guard down for one minute by jumping in that murky water against your better judgement, and now you're paying for it.  As a matter of fact, everything is damp.  And there's no air circulation.  The battery is dead (add that to the to do list), so you can't run the fan.  Your neck is stiff from sleeping the night before (don't forget damp, too), and your side already hurts from laying in the same position on the hard mattress (also on the list) for too long.  You can't really stretch out, because your bed is shaped like a "v" and there are only so many possible positions that allow for comfort and the simultaneous avoidance of your husband's boney knees and undeniably dirty feet.  You make a mental note to work on your germaphobia, but also to remind him to wash his feet next time, because really, if feet aren't bad enough as it is.  You pull out your phone to pass the time, but the charge is almost down to nothing, and there's no battery, so.  You finally fall asleep around 4 am.  At 7 am your husband wakes you up because he has to use the bathroom, and you might want to, you know, vacate the premises.
But, then.  Then there's freshly ground french press coffee and shake and pour pancakes, and a cool breeze once again over the water.  The morning sun casts a beautiful light that makes the river sparkle, and suddenly everything is right in the world again.  Your husband finally gets your dog to pee on the puppy pad's patch of fake grass and his excitement is enough to make you feel like maybe you just missed your baby's first steps.  Then you watch him paddle around in the small dingy, admiring the lines of his sailboat from afar.  Totally in his element.  And in moments like this you think to yourself, maybe last night wasn't actually so bad.  Maybe I can do this after all.

13 comments:

  1. that last photo made me smile:)
    I can live simply, but I don't think I'm cut out to live on a sailboat! Gorgeous sunset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duni! I'm really not sure I am either, but I'm determined to find out!

      Delete
  2. Those pictures look amazing! You're going to have a great adventure even if the sleeping arrangements are less than ideal. My hubs is jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Working on the sleeping arrangements is now our top priority. Somehow, neither one of us fares well the next day if I don't get any sleep ;)

      Delete
  3. Loving the sunset and the doplhins. How esciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited! I really never would have expected to see dolphins there. They made my day!

      Delete
  4. gorgeous photos!!!! very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! Honest, and still hopeful. I think you're going into this with your eyes open but there will be rough moments, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I tend to romanticize things, so I'm trying my best to be realistic about what to expect. I've learned that lesson the hard way a few times before!

      Delete
  6. Oh those photos are beautiful! I hope the nighttime sleeping improves or you may just have to swap your days and nights! And I hope you get a newly charged battery. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do what you are doing. But then I'd also miss out on the gorgeous views and dolphins. :)

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. are you really doing this?! that's incredible! and please take this for what it's worth -- but you remind me of joey on dawson's creek. bestill my heart.

    the morning really does have a way of making the world look better. i hope you have many more beautiful times on this excursion of yours. amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks... I think! I always had a soft spot for Joey :) Riley and I actually watched Dawson's Creek all the way through not too long ago!
      It does, doesn't it. Thank you so much!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...