Sep 8, 2013

is it chili season yet?

I'm going to have to get a head start on my fall recipes this year. Once we move onto the boat, I really don't see myself dying to do much baking or cooking in the teeny tiny kitchen. But it's not like I'm going to be willing to skip some of my favorite seasonal dishes entirely either! So, if I make my first pumpkin pie next week, don't be surprised.

I love sweet potatoes. In just about any form, really. I also love white beans. So when I came across this white bean chili recipe from the Gluten Free Goddess, it was a match made in heaven.  When Paige came up with the idea for a chili link up party, I jumped at the chance to make this chili before I left my fully stocked kitchen behind for the winter.
White Bean and Chicken Chili with Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
olive oil
sea salt and pepper
oregano and thyme, to taste

1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled, diced
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
red pepper flakes, to taste
3/4 cup tomatillo salsa verde
2 15-oz cans beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups chicken broth

Squeeze of fresh lime juice
Fresh chopped parsley
Fresh chopped cilantro
Fresh lime slices

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Drizzle oil olive in a roasting pan. Season chicken breast with salt, pepper, oregano and thyme. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until done. Set aside.

Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the red onion and stir for about one minute. Add the garlic, sweet potatoes, ginger, cumin, oregano and hot pepper flakes and stir. Add in the tomatillo salsa, beans and chicken broth. Cover and bring to a light simmer.

Cut or tear the chicken breast into small pieces, and stir into chili until warmed through.
Squeeze in some fresh lime juice and add any extra seasoning to taste. Top with lime wedges, fresh chopped parsley and cilantro.


And don't forget to check out the other recipes in the chili link up here:
Paige's Spicy Red Chili
Melissa's Chili-in-a-blanket
Meghan's Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Mia's Chicken, Veg and Nam Jim Dressing
Kristen's Beef, Bean and Beer Chili
Ayla's Chili and Rice
Natasha's Beef Chili with Black Beans and Greek Yogurt Avocado Crema

16 comments:

  1. Wow! I love your version here! Are you usually gluten free, or did you just happen upon this version? So many great vitamins in this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we're not gluten free, but I figure it never hurts to cut back a little! I'm always on the hunt for delicious recipes that inspire me to eat healthier, and she has some amazing ones on her blog. I love this one because it's such a hearty and delicious meal, but it's good for you, too!

      Delete
  2. Yumm, that looks so good Allison. I can't for warmer weather and all these dishes to be staples at my dinner table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious, I would skip the chicken, as I don't eat meat. I've never made anything with sweet potatoes, so this might be a good recipe to experiment with. I thought it was pumpkin. I think the only thing I like about fall, is pumpkins! Love to see how you make pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be just as good and hearty even without the chicken. I cut back on it myself, the original recipe calls for 4 chicken breasts. You should definitely try sweet potatoes! Although, pumpkin is great, too! :)

      Haha, I make it from a can. :) I've tried homemade, but for some reason I like my pumpkin pie quick and easy from a can.

      Delete
  4. Looks so yummy Allison! I love all your photos. They look so colourful and fresh! I'm drooling already :) This is mine for the chili party.
    http://mossyjojo.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/chicken-veg-and-nam-jim-dressing.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know... I'm wishing I still had leftovers!

      Delete
  5. This looks delicious!I love cooking sweet potatoes in unexpected ways so this recipe is right up my alley! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks lovely! Your photos are so inviting and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm absolutely not a chili fan at all - unless it's Cincinnati Chili, that's the best stuff on earth - but I love sweet potatoes to death and I'm trying to find a way to love beans, so I'm pretty sure I have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I was never a big fan of chili either. But I have heard that Cincinnati Chili is amazing.
      I think you should give it a try! If you love sweet potatoes as much as I do, I think you'll like it!

      Delete
  8. Not only does it sound delicious, but it LOOKS like the perfect fall dish. Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite things, so I'll have to add this to my list. Thanks for being part of the chili party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos! I love how different it is, too. I've never had sweet potato in chili before. I need to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Of course! This was probably the fastest I've ever snapped food photos... it smelled too good and I was starving! :)
      I've actually made this recipe several times before and it's one of my all time favorites!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...