Sep 24, 2013

love with a chance of drowning

"Dedicated to those who dare dream, 
and those who dare fall for dreamers."

Of course, my first mistake was reading, out loud to Riley, these first few lines of a book that was so obviously dedicated specifically to the two of us. "Why don't you read me some of it," he said. We were in the car on the way to New Bern, and there wasn't really anything else to do anyway, so I obliged.

Love With a Chance of Drowning, by Torre DeRoche was recommended by Amanda from Rhyme and Ribbons, and the title intrigued me right away.  I am, of course, the kind of girl that judges a book by it's cover.  But even just the few lines Amanda wrote in her comment were enough to tell me that this was a book I was going to have to read.

As I started to read about Torre, a 26 year old Australian falling in love with Ivan, a handsome Argentinian dreaming of sailing around the world, I became hooked immediately.  It was clear that Riley was hooked as well, from the impatient sidelong glances he gave me whenever I paused from  my reading to soothe my poor, parched and cracking throat.  We soon decided that we were going to need to download the audio book, because I was not about to continue to read all 11 hours of the book out loud.  And this is not the sort of duty that Riley is willing to share in.


We continued listening to the book all weekend.  It was the perfect entertainment for a rainy Sunday morning in the cozy cabin of the boat, accompanied by hot cups of coffee.  We gave each other repeated knowing glances whenever Torre related an experience that unfortunately, we understood all too well.  We might not be sailing the Pacific Ocean (thank goodness) and my handsome lover might not have an Argentinian accent (he does have an accent, however, it's not quite as, uh... exotic), but learning how to leave our lives behind, adapt to life on a small sailboat, and the quest for adventure are themes all too familiar.  Torre is a hilarious writer, and although this book is a memoir, it reads more like an entertaining novel.  Her neuroticism and self deprecating humor are real and refreshing.  

There are a plethora of "how to" sailing books out there, and we have received plenty of advice from the old, weathered sailors at the marina, but it was so much more inspiring (to me, anyway) to have the experience recounted by someone who probably would have understood the tragedy of bidding goodbye to your leather boots at the beginning of the fall season, when you've never even had the chance to say a proper hello.  Torre is a city girl, with no sailing experience, and an intense fear of the ocean.  If she could do it, maybe I'm not crazy to think that I can, too.

We haven't actually finished the book yet (I tend to devour books, while Riley prefers to savor them) so I can't really give you a complete review, but at least I can't give away any spoilers either.  But if you're interested in reading a true and comical account of love, fear, sailing, and adventure, I highly recommend checking it out.

What have you been reading lately?  I love hearing your suggestions!  If you recommend it, I will more than likely be reading it!
 

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are enjoying it. It just clicked in my mind one day that I had to recommend this book to you! Can't wait to find out more of what you think when you finish. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know nothing about sailing, but I'm totally intrigued by this book based on your post :) I love when you find a book that just speaks to your life like that. I wrote my "review" on Eat Pray Love, which if you haven't read already, might be a good one to bring along on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the beauty of the book is that it can appeal to anyone, partly because the narrator herself knows nothing about sailing when she starts off! I've just added Eat Pray Love to my "to read" list. :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like the PERFECT book for you two! I'm adding it to my GoodReads list now! Can't wait to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently in the middle of 'Yoga Bitch' which, even if you're not into yoga, is hilarious. Especially if you're a fan of wry, self deprecating humor. The book is part narrative, part diary from the author when she went on a yoga retreat to Bali. It's one of those books that you get sucked into. And I can't believe that half of the things she talks about actually happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting, too! I love diary-type books. They're usually the funniest and the easiest to relate to!

      Delete
  5. You are darling! Be sure to link up on my blog too!

    www.styleafterhours.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you do a final review!!! Sounds like an interesting book. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been reading anything lately, but I tend to devour books as well. I have however experienced reading out loud to my husband. All 7 of the Harry Potter books. My throat was dying in the beginning, I had to suck on peppermints. But, one of my favourite memories. My throat would probably have preferred the audio books though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautifully written post. And I love the image of you guys with your coffee cups. I can practically see you bonding and exchanging glances over them and hanging out together. My husband and I read a book together once, and I'm fondly reminded now of that time. Maybe we'll have to try it again. It should only take me a couple of...years to find another one we can agree on. PS - I, too, am the kind of girl who judges a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know, it's so hard to find a book that two people, with such different interests, can both find appealing. So worth it though!

      Delete
  9. So, I think it's awesome you actually read the books people recommend. I think a lot of people say "I'll have to read that!" but they never do. I like reading your reviews. Sounds like the perfect book for you guys! Alsoooo, I ordered a necklace today from your shop! Woo! I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a catchy title! And sounds like a perfect book for you & riley :) Hubsey and I also love reading (or hearing i should say) audio books together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a catchy title, isn't it? I think we're going to have to look into audio books more often now. Sometimes I need help pacing myself, anyway. :)

      Delete
  11. from the past posts you've written about sailing, I do believe that this book was written for you and your boo!! :)
    I think i'm going to add it to my TBR list. :)

    -Adri. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...