Sep 30, 2013

menswear, literally.

shirt, pants: Anthropologie purse: Kate Spade outlet hat: Jessica Simpson watch: vintage necklace: The Bauble Dept.

In theory, I love the idea of the menswear trend. I feel like it doesn't translate so well on me though, because it is very likely that I would be mistaken for a 12 year old boy. However, accessories like a watch, I can definitely do. Especially if it is in fact, a man's watch, and more specifically, my grandfather's watch.

My Pop pop died of cancer when I was eight.  Growing up, my grandparent's house was just a short walk away from my own.  My Mom mom would usually be in the kitchen, with some Polish concoction on the stove, and my Pop pop, a rather large and gruff looking man, would be in the living room in his white wife beater and black polyester pants.  Mom mom would fix a little snack, picky little girls don't generally eat Polish food (a Polish nose doesn't necessarily entail a fondness for all things Polish), so she would spread a piece of toast with peanut butter and a drizzle of honey.  Pop pop would kneel down on the floor and pour out a large collection of treasures.  It might be coins, or necklaces... whatever he was able to buy in bulk for a great price at the flea market that week.  We would sit on the short goldenrod carpet, in front of the console television and sort through these treasures together.

My dad wound up with his watch after Pop pop died, and he passed it on to me a little while ago, thinking that I might be able to put it to good use.  So, I shortened the band to it's absolute smallest size and bought a new battery.  It's still a little large on my bony wrist, and it doesn't always keep time, but that doesn't matter to me.  I mean, there's the sentimental value of course, but honestly, I can't really tell time all that well anyway.
 

*** P.S. I've decided to go ahead and close down my Etsy jewelry shop while we're living on the boat.  TODAY will be the last chance (until at least the end of the year) to buy anything that you've been eyeing.  The free shipping offer is still good through the end of the day!  Thanks for all of your support!

15 comments:

  1. your outfit is super cute. love the shirt! i love the story about the watch. i can't tell time either half the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The watch is gorgeous, and I love the story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It might not look like anything special to most other people, but knowing the story behind it makes it priceless. :)

      Delete
  3. That is such a beautiful story! And a gorgeous watch, too. They always mean so much when those sweet things are given by the ones you love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love having something tangible that makes me recall those memories more often.

      Delete
  4. That's such a great story. I have quite a few pieces of furniture that I have from my great grandparents (whom I never met) but it's still nice to look at them every once and a while and know that they once sat in the house of the people I came from. I'm lucky enough to still have my grandparents with me today.

    I am super sad though that the shop is closing for a while though! I understand that it would be a little hard to run, create and ship from a boat at sea but I have yet to convince my fiance that I really do need the pearl cluster necklace....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you have some family heirloom furniture! I don't have any of my own, but my mom has a few pieces that have been in the family for awhile, and they are so much more special than anything that can be bought at the store.

      Haha, well I'm hoping to get it back up and running when we return, and if you're still interested then, I'm sure I can have a pearl cluster necklace in stock. :)

      Delete
  5. This brought back so many great memories of my own childhood! I also happen to love a great watch, and I'd totally sport a "menswear" one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it brought back fond memories! Surely some family member has one sitting around that they could pass along to you, too? ;)

      Delete
  6. Allison, those jeans look absolutely AMAZING on you! They flatter you so much! Love the flared leg. Very classy lady!

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure what you are talking about because this trend looks so good on you!! The hat is my favorite! What a great story and that you got a great piece of jewelry to keep him in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looove this look on you!! SO so cute!
    And you know I'm crazy for that watch so I don't have to repeat myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I bet you could thrift a good one somewhere. Of course, it wouldn't have the memories attached, and I know you're a sentimental person, too. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...