Sep 26, 2013

mountain air and solid ground


I’ve been pretty housebound this week. Well, except for one really exciting trip to the grocery store in which all of the old men shopping on Senior Citizen Day were particularly attentive, and a nice family dinner at Riley's grandparents' house. But for the most part, I’ve been packing up boxes and getting the house ready. We’re just about there, which means this weekend is “deep cleaning” time. Oh boy. If that doesn’t sound exciting… 

So, it’s kind of a treat for me to take a moment to write somewhere else besides my cluttered kitchen table; one of the few pieces of furniture left in the house. The nearest coffee shop is almost 30 minutes away and I wasn’t about to drive an hour just for a change of scenery. But, I do have a parkway and an overlook just a few minutes from the house, with a hazy view of the valley and a concrete picnic table. There’s no wifi of course, but it does mean that Gidget gets to come along, and sometimes dogs need a change of scenery, too. She’s been really helpful with all the packing, by the way, if you can imagine. 

Today I'm thankful for the fresh air and the cool fall weather, even if it is a little gloomy.  I'm thankful for the mountain views, and the solid ground underneath my feet.  These simple pleasures that I take for granted won't be so readily available in just a matter of days.  I'm thankful for my little dog, my constant companion.  I'm thankful for a computer that is momentarily functioning, despite recent bouts of... not.  I'm thankful for grace and the hope it brings.  I'm thankful for dreams and the opportunity to realize them.

What is it that you are thankful for today?
 

7 comments:

  1. We are having some incredible weather here, and I am super thankful for that! Its so pretty and sunny and the leaves are starting to change....my favorite time of the year!
    Will you be taking your dog with you on the boat? I have no idea if dogs usually come on boats, but he's so small I imagine he could fit anywhere! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't believe that is only a few minutes from your house! even the photos are refreshing...a bit jealous that it's your everyday view! on a side note, the title of this post is it's own tiny poem.
    —m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a gorgeous view. It's one of those things that is really easy to take for granted after awhile though. It's good to take a few moments to stop and soak it in. :)

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh girl, you are getting so close.
    I feel like I've been looking forward to this trip (for you) for months.
    I cannot wait to see how your time is spent.

    Mmm I'm grateful for the gloomy weather too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh. what a lovely post of yours ! made me think a lot! I shall be thankful for lots of things, especially my boyfriend! he's been an angel these days! :)
    thanks for the inspiration girl! made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter, my home, my cats, my health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! All such wonderful things to be grateful for!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...