After some careful research and calculations ( I googled), I have deduced that the average person probably spends about 67% of their life trying not to make mistakes. The other 33% is spent sleeping. For a perfectionist like myself, the percentages may vary slightly, seeing as how we spend some of our sleeping hours worrying about and planning for the avoidance of any possible future mistakes.
Don't say the wrong thing, don't fail the test, don't be late for work, definitely do not wear that shirt with that skirt, don't make a wrong turn, don't marry the wrong guy, don't burn dinner. You know, the list goes on.
I'd like to think that I'm doing a pretty good job. I mean, I have made it my life's work after all. At this stage in life I seem to have all the appropriate bases covered with no major regrets or skeletons in my closet.
The funny thing is, in the very act of trying to avoid mistakes, I have been making my biggest, all-consuming, life-altering mistake:
I have been allowing my fear of failure to hold me back.
I don't feel at home in the kitchen, and panic at the idea of entertaining and feeding people in my home. Is this because that one time I tried to make my mom a birthday cake it came out like lopsided rubber and everyone laughed? (I believe so. I was still in Elementary School at the time, by the way.)
I hate driving, really hate it, and will avoid it at all costs. Is this perhaps because I failed my learners permit test the first time around? (The stupid one with just the signs... it was the single most embarrassing moment of my life for the longest time. I still don't tell people about that.)
|don't let this girl near your boat! maybe don't give her any power tools, either.|
I second guess myself and feel completely uncomfortable in "handy man" situations. Is this because I really screwed up the windows on the boat that one, really embarrassing time? (Yes, yes it is.)
I don't handle mistakes well, obviously. Not even the little ones! Because even the little stuff seems to give me a complex. "I'm not good at this because, that one time..." I don't really know what the cure is for this. I am starting to get a little better about laughing at myself, though. I mean, usually after a session of mortified bawling, that is.
I'm a work in progress, and it's a little slow going. So, help me, please. Do you have the same fear of making mistakes? What do you do? How do you shake off the mistakes and keep on going without allowing the self doubt to creep in?