Sep 23, 2013

navigating these waters


You know that feeling you get when you have a big adventure right around the corner? Maybe it's a big move, or an otherwise life altering change? You know it's coming, and it's a good and happy thing, but you've still got these days and weeks ahead of you and a whole lot of mess and stress and unknowns to work through. Maybe you're physically and emotionally exhausted, and maybe you're not spending enough time surrendering it all in prayer and perhaps taking it out on your dear husband, (hypothetically, of course), instead. You know, the guy that's already dealing with all the same stuff right alongside you as it is? And you need these days to slow down just a little so that you can catch up, but you also hope they'd just hurry up and get out of your way already, too. That's pretty much maybe exactly where I've been lately. Those days.


We spent the weekend at the boat, and although completely unproductive in terms of our to do list, it was just what we needed to clear our heads and shift our perspective.  We had several hours in the car to hash out, undistracted and uninterrupted, just the two of us, all of those feelings that come with taking this kind of leap.  The kind of feelings that tend to manifest themselves in unhealthy and unproductive ways when left unaddressed for too long.  So, when Riley found himself in a seven hour celestial navigating class on Saturday (I knew well enough that I needed to sneak out of there 45 minutes into it) and when we woke to pouring rain on Sunday, we knew not only that absolutely nothing was going to get accomplished, but that we were okay with that as well.  Instead, we spent the rest of our weekend talking and also bonding, in an unlikely "first" for us, over a new book.  Sometimes, just the simple reassurance that someone else is on your team, on the same page you are, is all the productivity a weekend really needs, anyway.
 

8 comments:

  1. Happy you had a non-productive weekend and were fine with it. Not every minute can be spend doing things, and sometimes you just need some time to relax. I'm not on instagram, but I wanted to say that I liked how your pumpkin pie looked (and the polka dot-apron!), my first pumpkin is waiting for me in my kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. And I think we needed it more than we realized.
      Thanks! Sadly, it's almost gone now, and I've eaten nearly the entire thing all by myself. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, man. As I started reading this, I was thinking "I would so be unintentionally taking this out on my husband..." Haha. So I was glad when I got to the happy ending! I just know that this trip is going to be such a blessing for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor guys... they get the worst versions of us sometimes. :) I really think it will be too, and I think our relationship will be all the stronger for it when we get back.

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine how stressful this probably is right now. But how fun it will be once you're there! Glad you got the weekend to regroup and relax a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. I am so with you.
    Especially when we moved up here in January. And all hell broke loose.
    Where were we going to get groceries, and what were we going to do with our car? How would we budget. This is crazy!! I am so excited for your upcoming adventures - and so happy that you both know where to turn with all of the big (and little stuff.)

    Enjoy your time together, and it will all be worth it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so easy to get caught up in the busyness of life and think you are accomplishing so much just because you are running around like a crazy person. Sometimes the most productive things consist of taking a moment to spend time with your spouse.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...