Sep 5, 2013

one year older and wiser

Hey, guess what?!

It's my birthday!  My twenty-eighth birthday.

It's also my 6 month blogaversary, so I'm thinking that calls for at least two cupcakes. I couldn't have planned that any better if I had tried! 

In honor of adding one more candle onto the cake today (those are going to have to be two really big cupcakes), I thought I'd share one of my favorite quotes that applies to all of us that just seem to keep getting older...

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

Riley and I have kind of adopted this quote, attributed to Mark Twain, as our motto for our little adventure.  Obviously, not everyone needs to interpret it quite so literally!  One of the things I have come to really admire about Riley over the last several years is his ability to dream big, make a plan, and then make it happen.  I've always had the tendency to be more of a "take it as it comes" kind of person.  While there's nothing wrong with that per se, I have to admit that I had never before really set any risky, life altering goals or pursued any dreams that might have felt too far out of reach.  But as I've gotten older, I've realized that my list of places that I'd like to see and things I'd like to do keeps getting longer, and I haven't really been checking much off!  But it's time for that to change.

So this is my advice for you today.  Don't let anymore birthdays pass without setting new goals, and checking even more off.  Make the time and opportunities to explore, dream, and discover!

What are some of the dreams and goals you'd like to realize before your next birthday?

My first goal for today?  Getting my hands on a cupcake.  Preferably something with pink frosting.  Dream big :)





37 comments:

  1. happy birthday!!!! I hope it is wonderful! I really enjoy reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! So glad I clicked over from Blogtember - My day was needing a little bit of Mark Twain ;) What a great quote, and an interesting concept to keep in mind! Hope your day is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Enjoy your cupcake or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read about your upcoming adventure and WOW!! What an awesome adventure to be setting out on. That's a huge step in your life and you must be so excited! I love that quote about how it's the things we didn't do that will disappoint us.
    Happy Birthday to you, too!

    The Random Writings of Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!! Enjoy your cupcake :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy happy birthday!!! Hope you have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday and happy blogaversary! Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the web today! I'm so very glad to have found your blog - I'm also quite the fan of cupcakes and adventuring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Happy Birthday to you!!! Cuuuuuute picture of you! Yes, definitely deserves more than 1 cupcake today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! You totally deserve two cupcakes :)

    The adventure you and your husband are about to embark on sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday and congrats with your blogaversary! Cute picture and I hope you'll have agreat day. And enjoy those cupcakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marieken! I did have a wonderful day... and thoroughly enjoyed a cupcake :)

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad I found your blog! I love it and I especially love this post! I have always loved that quote and I hope to start applying it to my life as well.
    -Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment! I think it will probably always be a work in progress for most of us. We just need a good reminder every once in a while :)

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday Allison! Enjoy those cupcakes, definitely the best way to celebrate your birthday.
    I have started making a monthly bucket list recently as I got to thinking the same. I don't want to look back and be dissappointed. Great advice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! And great advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome ! love this post, and advice of yours! and the quote - it's just perfect!
    we only live once, huh? :)) so we should take the most of it!
    And Happy Birthday, Dear! X have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found you through Blogtember and I loved going through and ready about your new adventure! I am a lot like you in the way you described not really taking those large, life-altering risks. I can't wait to follow along on your adventure :)

    xoxohannah
    www.xoxohannah.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you stopped by :)
      I hope you'll find a risk that you're excited and able to take one day, too! :)

      Delete
  16. What an inspiring, challenging and exciting bit of advice today! Leave it to Mark Twain to provide such a well versed springboard for thought and action. Thank you for sharing and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many words of wisdom came out of that man's mouth :)
      Thank you!

      Delete
  17. Happy birthday Allison!! I hope you were able to go out and get yourself those two pink cupcakes :)

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday! I just 28 too. I totally agree that it's important to set new goals or at least re-evaluate the ones you've already made and then try to figure how to best achieve them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday, what a cute picture!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday Allison!
    I hope you had a lovely day and got your hands on a cupcake or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank!
      I had a great day... and cupcakes!! :)

      Delete
  21. Happy birthday!! Mine is in 9 days, so this is a perfect reminder before heading into a new year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And happy early birthday to you, too!

      Delete
  22. Happy Belated Birthday girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy belated birthday, Allison!
    I hope you had a wonderful day :)
    Dream BIG!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duni!
      I did have a wonderful day :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...