Sep 9, 2013

tales of a house mouse


I was always strangely defensive about my personality type. When I was younger I was very quiet and shy. I liked to read and draw, and was perfectly content to entertain myself for hours. I was little, too. So basically, I was a mouse. A house mouse.  Outside of my family and group of friends, I could always expect to hear, “you’re so quiet!” Of course, nothing will silence a little mouse more than those three (and a half?) little words. I mean, what exactly are you supposed to say to that? 

The funny thing is, I’ve always had a kind of inner confidence. Other than a few indecisive teenage years (but really, what teenager isn’t indecisive for a while? Even the ones that think they know what they want, don’t really know.), I’ve always had a pretty good idea of what I like, who I am, and what I’m good at. It’s just taken me awhile to grow into that and to be able to claim it publicly. To own it. “Quiet” and “introvert” aren’t dirty words anymore.  I don't need to be "fixed" or "brought out of my shell."  We are all constantly changing and growing, and I'm not nearly as shy or quiet as I once was.  But I'll always be quite content to be by myself and observe the world from a distance. I've learned that that's okay, but I've also learned how to step outside of my comfort zone.  Sometimes.  If I have something to say I’ll say it, and if I don’t, I won’t. Unless of course, I’m writing a blog post. In that case, I usually find it fairly easy to say a lot without really saying anything at all. Case in point. 

I took the Jung Typology personality test, and it told me I am an ISFJ. Introvert, Sensing, Feeling, Judging. The computerized program took my answers and categorized them appropriately. It knew how I’d behave in certain situations, what kind of career might be a good fit, and how many friends I might have. What it didn’t know however, is that after 28 years, this little mouse finally feels right at home in her ISFJ self.

What about you? Have you ever taken a personality test? Did you ever have a hard time with embracing your own personality type?

19 comments:

  1. I took it and it says INFJ lol...lots of introvert there of course and I embrace it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm split almost evenly INFJ and INTJ. definitely fought the introvert thing for a long time until I realized it's just who I am. it doesn't mean I can't be social or enjoy being with other people, I just need to get in my alone time too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I can put on my extravert "hat" for a little while if I want to... but I'm going to want some alone time afterwards! :)

      Delete
  3. I also have been pretty quiet my whole life, except around people I trust. And I always had a hard time with being labeled as an introvert or quiet because they did seem like dirty words! I'm so glad people are more open to introverts now! : ) I initially took the test and was irritated about the results - like crazy emotional and spontaneous - but I re-took it and ended up with the same as yours. I think it's a more accurate interpretation of my personality : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an ISFJ too! I love that you call yourself a house mouse -- that's the perfect description for how I feel. I love to just be at home with myself and my thoughts. Not that I don't like people, but constantly having to be "on" for others gets tiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was scored as an ISFJ too. I think it described me almost perfectly, especially in talking about how we "aim to please" those around us. I agree with you on being content with observing the world from a distance. I'm more of the type of person who likes to people watch and view interactions rather than being involved in the thick of things. Being an introvert is definitely something to embrace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the second blog I've read about these Meyers-Briggs classifications and everyone seems to be an introvert--me, included (INTJ). I would love to know if introverts are more drawn to blogging than extroverts. Starting to seem that way! Anyone need a topic for a Masters thesis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does seem to be the case, I agree!

      Delete
  7. I read A LOT about ISFJ when I was doing my personality experiment. I see bits and pieces in my own personality. Even though I'm 100% E!

    Embrace the introvert, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if a test says something like 100%, I really think we're not going to be completely one thing, all of the time. That would be boring, anyway! Different situations will bring out different aspects of our personality, and we're always growing and changing. But we definitely should embrace our personalities :)

      Delete
  8. I'm an ISFJ too! Like you, I've always been quiet but as years progress and have worked only at jobs where I'm forced out of my comfort zone everyday, a dozen times a day, you get better at it. I will still put off calling someone until absolutely necessary and only interact with others when needed. It was an interesting test and it describes me pretty darn well!

    Lauren
    Exploring My Style

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fellow ISFJ here! I'm a proud introvert these days, but, like you, found it difficult to embrace it when I was younger. People constantly asking, "are you okay?" definitely got old and made me sink further into myself. Have you read the book Quiet? Highly recommend it. I learned SO much about myself as an introvert and WHY I act the way I do from this book. It is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 100% introverted, huh? That's pretty intense! I think Jordan's like a 125% introverted ;) What's Riley? Jordan and I are the "perfect match" according to the computer, which I think is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I took a personality test while in college and was ISFJ! I don't have a clue as to percentages though. I was much like you growing up - had an inner confidence but not outer. It wasn't until I started attending church during college that I worked and learned to branch out and be the first to introduce myself and confidently and boldly carry on conversations and voice my opinions. I still get really nervous before a presentation of any sort no matter how well I know my stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You explained my childhood right there. Which means it's no surprise that I'm also an ISFJ. I was reading so many blogs of people who are extroverts and I was wondering if all bloggers were. Good to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting! I was thinking that most bloggers were introverts. I suppose the internet could use a little of both... keep it balanced!

      Delete
  13. You and I could have been friends as children. Of course we may not have talked much. I was constantly told how quiet I was and still am. If you haven't guessed I am an ISFJ too. I was amazed at how right this test was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just took the test today after reading about it on Paige's blog. It fit me to a T at this point in my life.
    I was voted most outgoing in my senior class, but these days I'd rather stay home in my own company. I do enjoy seeing friends now and then, but I also need time to myself to unwind. It's funny how we change :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. High five! I'm an ISFJ too. I got the you're so quiet all the time as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...