Sep 20, 2013

we've got a whole lot of growing to do



Comfort. I’ve been thinking a lot about this word lately. Particularly, when it pertains to my comfort zone. Physically and mentally, mine is on the smaller side, and I really, really like it. I like being in the comfort of my own home, and I’m not the best at roughing it. I like being prepared, and I fear the unknown. I like having a plan and a routine, and flexibility isn’t one of my predominant characteristics. I like clean and organized, and I’m kind of a germaphobe. So, the idea of turning my life upside down, leaving my home and my comfort zone, to move onto a boat and welcome a whole slew of “character building” exercises into my daily life, is quite frankly, frightening. It keeps me up at night.

How will I keep things clean if we’re constantly worried about conserving water? Am I ever going to feel clean again? (You might laugh, but I am seriously concerned about this.) How will we maintain a well balanced diet when I don’t know where or when we will be buying food next, or what our options will be when we do? How are we going to find our way around a new town (without a car), over and over again? Will I constantly be on edge thinking “what if… what if…what if?” Will my resistance and fear of things outside of my comfort zone overshadow this opportunity of a lifetime?

my kitchen and front door. yes, please do step your dirty feet right onto my food prep space. (obviously, the faucet was still missing at this point.)
my bed. I mean, our bed.
my shower.

Because, while I know that it is an exciting opportunity of a lifetime, I also know that it’s going to be the biggest character building opportunity I’ve encountered so far in my life. From a distance, taking several months off to live on a boat and sail down the coast sounds like a life of relaxation and ease. But up close, it also still looks a lot like real life, in a tight space, without any of the ammenities of home, where everyday activities take a lot more thought and effort, with fun and excitement hopefully sandwiched somewhere in between. I’m not complaining. I mean, not yet anyway. But I’m trying to be realistic about the whole situation in the hopes of preparing myself for being unprepared.

So, you’d better hold on, Comfort Zone. Cause me and you, we’ve got a whole lot of growing to do. 

14 comments:

  1. I would have the same exact worries. The counter top thingy is cray cray. You and I (the uptight, planner girls) just need to take more deep breaths than everyone else when tackling these sorts of things in life. You'll have fun! Maybe you'll come back with your hair in braids, no bra and smoking a doobie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a brave, brave soul. These would be more worries as well! I am a planner as well and not knowing where you next meal is exactly coming from is sorta scary but I can't wait to see what this adventure brings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all kinds of crazy and exciting all at the same time!! It sounds like you are definitely pushing out of your comfort zone. Looking forward to seeing where this adventure takes you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, crazy and exciting are both definitely good words to describe it. I'm hoping that all of this practice with getting outside of my comfort zone is something that will stick with me for the rest of my life. We miss out on so much by playing it safe!

      Delete
  4. Your trip does sound amazing, but I could never do it for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm a planner too and not knowing where you will dock every night or where you'll get food/water. That's pretty scary. But I think it's great you're stepping out of your comfort zone and just doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The unknown is not my friend either! I am really looking forward to reading your adventures on the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no it never was my friend before, but I hope we'll be a lot better acquainted by the end of all this. :)

      Delete
  6. well, i do feel the same. I'm a big planner, - everything has to be well organised for me, and especially clean!
    I hate discomfort - when it comes to shower, bed, kitchen, food...etc.!
    but ya know what ?! magic happens when you leave your comfort zone!
    so i'm super jealous for ya! I would love to move to the boat, and travel around!
    that's some kind of opportunity which doesn't happen often, and might not happen for you again!
    so take the most of it! enjoy it! even though that you're a big planner - this might be the best adventure in your life! be positive!
    in this trip you might learn a lot about yourself, and will improve somewhere! isn't that great?! that definitely builds a character, and you have to be grateful for that! :)))
    so hooray for it! and i'm looking so much forward to read your adventure stories there!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking Clorox Wipes will become one of your new best friends! Riley's XL comfort zone has done a great job of coaxing along your XS one so far AND your XS comfort zone will keep you saying "maybe we shouldn't..." when maybe you shouldn't. You two are a great match for this adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah. I'm like you with the whole things need to be clean and organized, etc. The bed looks tight and the shower looks little. But I totally can see you stepping out and experiencing the unthinkable and sacrificing the comfort zone for it. And knowing once overcoming the fear, that it is totally worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also like to be super clean and organised so I totally understand where you are coming from! Just think of the experiences you are going to gain from this once in a lifetime journey and who better to do that with than your partner?! You are going to have so many stories to tell after this :) I'm looking forward to hearing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know. It will all be worth it. :) As much as I worry about these things, I'm also excited to have to face them, too... as funny as it sounds. I am actually looking forward to the growing process. :)

      Delete
  10. This sounds like a wonderful trip. A chance of a lifetime. Will you be writing a journal while you are away? That way you could remember everything perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to be able to blog about it as well as keep a journal. Although, I've never been great at keeping up with a journal for too long, so we'll see how that goes! The nice thing is that at least a journal doesn't require batteries and an internet connection. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...