Oct 9, 2013

a little sunshine on this rainy day


It has been cold, windy, and raining non stop here for the last two days now, and it's starting to get our spirits down just a tad.  It is nearly impossible to accomplish any of the projects on our list in the rain, so it's setting us back a little.  We have, at least, found all the places that the boat is leaking...


Gidget and I have been bunkered down in the cabin of the boat, huddled together in our fleece blanket while Riley does things like run to Lowes for the umpteenth time.  So, I thought it might be the perfect time to finally address these Sunshine Awards that I've been nominated for!  I'm honored to have been nominated and I really can't thank all of you enough for reading, leaving sweet and thoughtful comments, and just generally sharing in our excitement (and struggles) for the journey ahead!

Thank you Kate and Lauren for the nomination!  Also, thank you Amber and Codi for nominations for the Liebster Award as well!

Here are my answers to Kate and Lauren's questions: 
(I cheated and combined them so that I only had to answer the easy ones.)

1. Did you keep your original middle name when you married, or did you take your maiden name as your middle?
I kept my middle name and nixed my last name. It’s not that I didn’t like it, I actually liked it a lot, but it was entirely too long and too Polish to be used as a middle name. It’s also too long and too Polish to be used in a future kid's name, which I think is a really neat idea. For other people.

2. How do you feel about going to the movies? Love it or leave it?
Every once in a while a movie comes out that I feel just needs to be seen in a theater. But otherwise, I would much rather have a date night at home with Netflix. I spent entirely too much of my teenage life in a movie theater.

3. What’s your sign? (Of the zodiac variety.)
Virgo

4. N*Sync or BSB? You may also choose 98 Degrees, because they were my favorite and I had their Christmas album.
Backstreet Boys. For some reason I always had it in my head that they were “first” and that N*Sync was the copy cat group. That’s not to say that I didn’t know all of their songs as well, though. 98ยบ was okay too (and I also had their Christmas album, haha).

5. What is your favorite thing that you ever got for Christmas?
My favorite Christmas gift memory was the year that I got a water baby and this high chair/ swing combo thing. It wasn’t so much about the actual toys (although I did love that water baby) as the fact that when I opened them, they were cold to the touch. I thought it was so cool that Santa had just been there so recently. I really must have just missed him.

6. Righty or lefty? Any exceptions to the rule? 
Righty

7. Socks or no socks?
Socks

8. Did you ever have braces?
No, but there were a few years that I wanted them pretty badly because I used to have a much bigger gap between my front two teeth.  Fortunately for my parents, my teeth were really straight, and fortunately for me, the gap pretty much closed on it's own anyway.

9. Can you go a day without washing your hair?
Yes, finally!  There won't be any such things as hot, regular showers or hair dryers on this boat, so me and my hair are learning to adapt.

10. Do you enjoy reading? If so, do you prefer electronic or hard copy?
I love to read, and I have just now finally started to get back into reading for fun.  I don't think anything will ever compare to turning actual pages in a book, but my parents gave me a Kindle for my birthday, and I love using it.  It's the perfect size to keep on a small boat, and I love that I have access to so many books without bringing them aboard or trying to find a library.  If any of you have a Goodreads account, let me know, I just signed up!

11. Favorite movie?
This changes frequently.  Right now it's You've Got Mail.  We watched it again recently and I kept saying things to Riley like, "isn't this just the best soundtrack?  Isn't her apartment just the cutest? Isn't this just the best movie?"  He wasn't quite as enthusiastic.


Here are my nominees:

Michelle @ the heart of home
Samantha @ life style love

And my questions for you:

1. Do you have a hidden talent?
2. What movie have you seen more times than you can count?
3. What cliche or saying best describes your life? (ex: Third time's a charm, all dressed up and nowhere to go... find more here.)
4. What is your favorite animal to see at the zoo?
5. Spring or Fall?
6. Who is you favorite fictional heroine?
7. What is the first thing you notice about people?
8. What is your favorite sound?
9. Were you named after anyone?
10. What has been your greatest accomplishment so far?
11. What was the nicest thing someone has ever done for you?


I have the hardest time narrowing down who to nominate when it come to these things, so I'd love to hear anyone else's answers to the questions in the comments!

 

18 comments:

  1. I had a water baby! Oh man, and I had forgotten about her (or him) until just now! What a great memory. Also, my favorite zoo animal is definitely the giraffes, and oddly enough, the first thing I notice about people is their hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching the giraffes, too. Something about them is so graceful. I don't think it's odd to notice hair first. Honestly, I'm not sure what I notice first about people, but I love hearing what others do, haha. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm bored right now, so I'm going to answer these.

    1. I can shape the tip of my tongue into a three-leaf clover.
    2. Enemy of the State starring Will Smith. I'm not kidding. I love that movie!
    3. Awkward much?
    4. I haven't been to a zoo in like 2 years. I've forgotten what the animals even look like.
    5. Fall because at least I'm still tan
    6. Anne. Of course.
    7. Legs, specifically calves.
    8. This is a weird question. I guess the sound of the timer beeping to tell me the cookies are ready to come out of the oven.
    9. My parents picked my name out of a hat. So, no.
    10. I've never broken a bone, and considering how often I injure myself by running into stuff, I consider this quite an accomplishment
    11. Jordan did something really nice for me one time. It's a long story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks for the nomination! My answers:
    1. I can whistle through my teeth.
    2. Bridget Jones's Diary. I used to put it on in college when I had trouble falling asleep, because I knew all the words.
    3. "Everything in moderation."
    4. The monkeys are the most fun!
    5. Usually spring, but I'm having a major fall moment right now. In that we haven't gotten it yet and I am READY.
    6. Ella from Ella Enchanted. It's one of my favorite books ever.
    7. ... their shoes. I know that's weird, but I always check out people's shoes. And then ask them where I can get some just like them.
    8. Piano music. Love it!
    9. My mom says I was named after my dad. I don't know if she was joking or not.
    10. Graduating college. That's a boring answer. Sorry.
    11. My husband agreed I should be my own boss, and was patient through all the difficult start-up months. And he's still the best cheerleader when things are hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the rain thing over here too, I wish I could have spent my day like Gidget did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know, doesn't she look so cozy?!

      Delete
  5. Feel ya on the hair! My hair is finally being trained to go more than one day without being terribly nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gidget is so cute all bundled up :)
    I'm a Netflix kinda girl too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well at least you found all of the leaks in the boat! Hopefully the rain doesn't hold you back too much longer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watch You've Got Mail all the time. One of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great answers! And I know it's a little dreary for ya, but that top photo is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back on it now, it does look a little pretty... from inside a warm, dry spot. :)

      Delete
  10. So cute Gidget under the fleece blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't help but watch You've Got Mail anytime it's on TV. And I, on occasion, feel the need to pull out the DVD. Especially in the autumn ("It makes me want to go buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils...if I knew your address."). Or when I'm sick. Because when I'm sick I feel like Meg Ryan and I are kindred spirits with Kleenex everywhere.

    Also, I love Goodreads because I am the WORST at remembering the names of books that sound good! I'm at amyb_003 {at} yahoo if you want to compare bookshelves! :)

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, it's the perfect fall, spring, sick day movie! Except, I never look quite as cute as Meg Ryan when I'm sick. :) Just looked you up on Goodreads!

      Delete
  12. I love the picture of Gidget all cuddled up in that blanket. :) You've Got Mail is one of my favorites and I'm with you, totally, on actually going to a movie theater.

    Congrats on all your nominations!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Allison! I knew that you had just won a couple of awards very recently but I like your blog so much since I found it out that I couldn0t help it but nominate you again for a Lovely Blog Award. Hope you like that :)
    Have a good day x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, thank you so much for nominating me! You're so sweet, girl. I'll answer these on my blog ASAP. I've been dying to see You've Got Mail for years, but now I have to see it after you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...