Oct 15, 2013

adventures in galley cooking: penne with radicchio, spinach and bacon


Welcome to the galley!

Otherwise known as my front door, entryway, and kitchen.  Yes, we do indeed step right down onto our counter top.  Lovely, right?  I have to admit, the counter tops are usually cluttered, as most entryways and kitchen counters are prone to become, so we are always moving stuff around, cleaning, rearranging... it's an endless cycle.  Above you can see the sink (with foot pump), stove top and oven.  The counter top adjacent to the oven opens to reveal a storage space, and the black space behind the stove top is actually a sliding door that also conceals storage space.


On this side of the galley you can see one of two drawers that hold silverware and other utensils, two very awkward and inconvenient shelves along the wall, and the handle on the counter top that lifts to reveal our cooler. It's pretty much a one person space, and it's a constant game of rearranging everything to get to anything.  It's also difficult to find a large, flat area for chopping and food prep.  However, I have already had a few culinary successes, and no major disasters or temper tantrums.  So!

On last night's menu:



Right now we still have the luxury of being at the marina with a vehicle, which means that we can get to and from the grocery store with ease, and buy pretty much whatever we feel like.  But I tried to make a menu plan for the week that used many of the same ingredients, and required only the use of one pot and one small skillet.  I used the recipe above as inspiration, but simplified it and omitted some steps entirely, like roasting the garlic for 40 minutes. 


In the pot I boiled a random amount of pasta (I never estimate this correctly, by the way), and in the skillet I cooked the bacon, onion, garlic, added in the chicken broth, and then tossed in the radicchio and spinach until it wilted.  I didn't bother measuring any of the ingredients, I basically just filled the skillet until it was full.  When it looked done, I tossed it with the pasta and added in a little Parmesan cheese, basil, and red pepper flakes.


Right now, it always feels like a major success to finish the cooking.  I breath a sigh of relief knowing that I overcame all of the possible obstacles and frustrations to prepare something "normal" for dinner.    It really is a great sense of satisfaction, and it makes me feel ridiculously triumphant. That, combined with the knowledge that Riley's going to be doing the dishes, of course. 

We sat outside last night, admiring the view of the boats on the water, while eating our dinner on our little cockpit table, in our new cheap, unbreakable plastic dishes from Walmart while we drank our wine out of Solo cups.  The life of luxury, I tell you.


I'm linking up with Jessica and Ashley today!


Also linking up with Chelsea and Stephanie for Kitchenspiration!
 

31 comments:

  1. That looks better than most things I eat on land :) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing!! You can have me over for dinner anytime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish! My husband would be all over it on his carb cheat nights. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. Looks amazing. I'm all about weeks where the same ingredients are used frequently, and dirtying up as few pots as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's definitely the best way to shop and cook. I haven't always been the best at doing it that way, so it will take some practice, but it will be so worth it!

      Delete
  5. I seriously cannot believe you made a fancy dish in that teensy kitchen. And you step down onto the counter! High-five for making it all work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious! I love to use the same ingredients throughout a week, and to dirty as few pots as possible. Necessary in a small space, but good practice in any space!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made THAT on a boat?! I am impressed! I utilize every inch of counter space when I cook (and we have a massive island), so I don't know how you do it in that small kitchen! I especially love the plastic bowls and wine out of solo cups! :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even if you used a not small prep and cooking space this looks amazing! Can't wait to see what you come up with next :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say your nailing this whole living on a boat thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. :) I'm putting a dent in it, at least. I mean, not literally...

      Delete
  10. Very impressive!! Looks yummy and sure it makes perfect leftovers. Wine in a solo cup is how it's done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks so good!!! i know my bacon loving hubs would LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems like you're doing a very good job in your tiny kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow allison well done! So glad to know that you and Riley are adjusting well and enjoying your new adventure in the boat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So far the adjustment hasn't been quite as bad as I was thinking it might be. It's still early in the game and we still have a few kinks to work out, though. :)

      Delete
  14. That looks awesome!!! I doubt my galley cooking this month will look like that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your kitchen is adorable (Although, I'm sure more frustrating for you than anything else a majority of the time)! Nice work that looks scrumptious; bacon is always delicious. I went to a food festival in DC over the weekend and a chef was saying how the 3 most important ingredients any cook can have is 1) bacon fat 2) clarified butter and 3) duck fat. He would light up when he would use that bacon fat during his demonstrations; it was borderline disgusting yet it remained funny so it never cross that line. :P Happy Tuesday! -Iva

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dang girl, your cooking is awesome! Imagine what you'll be whippin' up in a month!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an exciting new adventure!! I'm looking forward to reading about it. That pasta looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks delicious!!! I'm going to attempt to make it in my normal size kitchen and I bet it won't look as good as yours does!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can do it, then I'm sure most anyone could do it, and probably better. :) If you try it, let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  19. It really does actually sound quite luxurious. And I am immensely impressed with your culinary genius. That looks awesome! Also, I never measure pasta correctly either. I don't know if anyone does.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Supper looks awesome, everything I love in one bowl!
    Last time needed radicchio I had the haaardest time finding it!!! Drove me crazy bc I was determined to make a recipe with it :)
    Love and miss y'all. Feels weird not to know you are right through the woods :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That always happens to me. I was actually surprised that I could find it. There's a nice Harris Teeter's nearby that we've been able to shop at, so that's been really helpful!

      Delete
  21. Oh and there are a million country songs that say things like
    "Pour a little crown in a dixie cup" or "One bottle of wine and two dixie cups..."
    So just consider yourself a true country girl now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Allison, I'm a new follower from the Taste of Tuesday hop. The pasta looks yummy! I haven't had radicchio in my pasta though, ever! I've always gone with Spinach but I think I might give this a try. Thanks for sharing! :)

    I'd love it if you can follow me back :)

    xoxo
    ochibernadas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks amazing! Now you've given me a craving for pasta!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...