Oct 29, 2013

chickpea curry with rice


So, our plan of attack for provisions on the boat was to stock up on basics like rice, pasta, beans, etc. and then buy fresh produce and such as we were able.  Most of our go-to recipes, even before we left the house, seem to involve black beans and spinach (okay, and bacon, too).  This one was a new recipe that I tried for the first time after we had moved onto the boat, and I like that it uses most of our go-to ingredients, but the chickpeas help to mix it up a little.

Chickpea Curry with Rice
adapted from Cooking Light One-Dish Meals

Ingredients
2 cups of cooked rice
1 tablespoon oil (I used olive)
1 onion, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
2 (15oz.) cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 (15oz.) can crushed tomatoes (I used diced)
6 oz. fresh spinach
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon salt (I forgot this, and it was fine without it)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

Directions:
1. Heat skillet over medium high heat and add oil.  Sauté onion about 5 minutes.  Add garam masala and stir for about 30 seconds.
2. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, and spinach.  Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until spinach wilts.
3. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt and salt.
4. Serve over cooked rice and top with cilantro.


This made enough for us for one dinner, and we had leftovers to heat up for lunch the next day.  I liked that it was hearty enough without any meat.  I tell you, dealing with meat juices and stuff just seems like too much for this little space to handle.  I'd probably go 100% vegetarian on the boat if I could get away with it, but I'm pretty sure the Captain would protest.  As it was, he gave this one a 6.5 out of 10.  Good, but no bacon.

Do you have any favorite vegetarian recipes?  How about any that are also super quick and easy?


I'm linking up with Jessica and Ashley today!

11 comments:

  1. Yum! I making slow cooker curry chicken this week and I'm going to throw some chickpeas in it. Looks like you're doing an excellent job for having to cook on a boat! Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! the hubs loves indian food. i need to try this. YUM! (i also have a mild chickpea obsession!) ;)
    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot get over how GOOD this looks! Loving your recipes and literally adding all of them to make "to-make" list! This one just jumped to the top!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of curry...but other than that this looks and sounds SO good. I love me some chickpeas.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I wouldn't really say that I'm a fan of curry either, but I guess this was mild enough that I didn't really notice? Or maybe I'm just not quite as picky as I used to be. :)

      Delete
  5. That looks great! I just went vegetarian/pescatarian, so I'm always on the lookout for great options. (I've even gotten my husband on board, as long as he is able to get meat when he goes out to lunch or something. Which it doesn't sound like ya'll do much of, so this comment is totally unhelpful. Sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! I love chickpeas so I need to try this!! This is a VERY fancy boat meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds and looks delicious! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was vegetarian for a good 2 years or so, and chick peas were always a go to! One of my favorite recipes was a vegan chick pea sloppy joe. It was the right combo of yummy comfort food and still healthy. Check it out here: http://www.forkandbeans.com/2011/08/15/monday-chickpea-sloppy-joes-and-baked-onion-rings/

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, funny story. I was at home with my parents on Tuesday, and my mom and i got to talking about my blog and free stuff and giveaways and such, and she goes, "so what's the deal with that girl on the boat?" So then I told her all about you, and we talked about it for like 10 minutes :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...