Oct 22, 2013

creamy pumpkin soup with apples and bacon


Is everyone tired of pumpkin yet? Just bear with me, because this really is the best soup that I have ever made (we're not counting the white bean and chicken chili, obviously). The aroma of the apples cooking in the skillet combined with the scent of the pumpkin is mouthwatering, and so very… fall. This is a super easy recipe, but the creaminess of the soup and the addition of apples and bacon make it amazing.

Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Apples and Bacon
adapted from a Food Network magazine insert

Ingredients
1 15oz. can of pumpkin
1 14.5 oz can of chicken broth
1/2 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoons maple syrup

1 peeled and cubed apple
cooked and crumbled bacon, to taste


In order to get by with only using one pot and one skillet, I cooked the apple first, melting a little bit of butter in the skillet and cooking the apple until soft. Then I set it aside and cooked the bacon with the same skillet.

Meanwhile, I combined all of the other ingredients in the pot and brought it to a simmer. I whisked it for about five minutes or so, and then served it topped with the bacon and apples. Extra bacon for Riley, extra apples for me, just the way we like it. The whole thing was so quick and easy, not to mention delicious, that we'll definitely be making it a go-to dinner on the boat.


Do you have any favorite quick and easy soup recipes to pass along?  I'd love to hear them!

I'm linking up with Jessica and Ashley today!

27 comments:

  1. This looks so good and I love the apple and bacon combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this looks right up my alley! I'm a huge fan of soup, especially in this chilly fall weather! Will definitely keep this one bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this might have to be my next soup recipe to try, I've never heard of pumpkin soup with bacon and apples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like the perfect autumn recipe. Yum, yum!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a perfect fall recipe! I'm craving it again already! :)

      Delete
  5. This looks amazing! And so easy, too! Might have to try this one night this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow this just screams FALL! Looks and sounds so good!! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious! Extra bacon AND apples sound good ;) hope the trip is going well! I'm so glad you're able to blog while sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious! I love anything made with pumpkin and it's perfect for fall so I might have to try this soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so good! I was just trying to come up with an idea for lunch, and this is perfect for a crisp fall day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! I'll definitely have to give it a try! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really good! And easy! Easy is the part that does it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What in interesting combination...sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a fan of pumpkin, but this looks so good. I might actually try this simple recipe. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely pretty pumpkiny, so it might not be for you. But if there ever was a recipe to sway a non-pumpkin lover, this would be it! :)

      Delete
  14. OMG!! So Yummy!! Never had pumpkin soup before!! Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness - YUM! Is it sweet? It definitely sounds like its more on the sweeter side, with the pumpkin pie spices and all. I will have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I take my hat off to you for cooking this on the boat! :) Looks so yummy. well done Allison xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I worried about it all a little too much for no reason! It's not so bad... most of the time. ;)

      Delete
  17. I never get tired of pumpkins. Happy to see you get to create some taste things in your kitchen. Sometimes I add apples to my pumpkin soup, next time I'll add some sirup too, never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never get tired of pumpkin either! Thanks! So far it's been a lot easier than I was expecting! :)

      Delete
  18. This looks absolutely delicious! I am saving this recipe to try since I have a extra can of pumpkin in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not tired of pumpkin yet and this looks delicious! I'll have to pin it for later. I love your cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Al. I MUST try this!!!!! thanks for sharing!! YAY! a new recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably too easy for a seasoned cook like yourself. ;) But it definitely is delicious!

      Delete
  21. Just tried this and I LOVED it! Even if it was more kind of a distant version with European ingredients - I'll shop for maple syrup and pumpkin spices for next time, because there will be a next time for sure :)

    Safe sailing x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...