Oct 18, 2013

how do you know when you're ready?


All morning I've been watching Riley tear up every inch of our living space in order to install our new refrigeration system.  "As soon as I get this in and mount the solar panels, we'll be ready, " he says.

Oh we will, will we?

How do you ever know when you're ready?  Really ready?

If you're thinking about quitting your job, retiring, moving out or moving on, getting married or having a baby, then you're in luck.  There are a multitude of quizzes and "5 Signs You're Ready..." articles that can make the decision for you.  And then you'll be certain.  Right?

Are you ready when you finally have enough money?  Enough time?  Enough guts?  You've read enough books and made enough preparations?  But then, of course, there's the age old question... how much is enough?

We've dreamed and planned and prayed, and watched as doors have been opened and paths have been made straight(ish). We've packed up our belongings, moved out of our house, moved onto a boat, completed a million and one projects on our to-do list, and eliminated several others that we have decided just aren't going to make the cut.  We've had our fill of stinky fish and marina life.  We've had our fill of waiting and our fill of saying "not too much longer now..."  We are so completely ready, and so completely not ready, all at the same time.  You never can really can be sure, can you?  If you wait until you're ready, you'll probably never do it at all.  If it's worth enough to you, you'll do it anyway.  So that's just precisely what we're going to do.  Ready or not, here we go.
 

20 comments:

  1. Great post, and I feel like a lot of things in my life are ones that I will never be fully ready for, and often times I feel like I just have to take the plunge and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those last few sentences really summed it up! Good luck!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! You have planned and prepared and dreamed about it for so long, you ARE ready. The little things that didn't get done are not important. Have fun on your adventure! A lot of people dream about it but you actually do it, that's so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring! We are never fully ready for anything, but we all learn to adapt and take change as it comes. Bon voyage on your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion, the most important sign that you are ready for anything is that you have a true supportive partner that will stick with you through anything. That way you know that even if things are challenging, you will have a shoulder to lean on and someone to share all the joys with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about that! I couldn't be more thankful that Riley is the one that I am taking this adventure with. I wouldn't have done it without him. :)

      Delete
  6. Good luck! I think being ready is more about making your mind up you are ready more than anything else. Just tell yourself you've done what you can and you are ready. It is going to be an incredible journey. Can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right, sometimes you can't know you are ready you just have to take that leap of faith!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ain't that the trufe! Sometimes you just gotta jump right in there, especially when all the essentials are complete.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I put quite a but of trust in fate. If it was meant to be, it will all work out. If it was the wrong decision, you'll soon find yourself on another path! x Sunday
    PS. I mentioned The Bauble Dept over at www.lovehappydaily.com this morning ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if it was the wrong decision, I sure hope we find out in a nice, easy, non threatening kind of way! :) Thanks for the nomination!!

      Delete
  10. Very well written! Good luck and enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe when we take your car it will be like taking the training wheels off and you'll just go for it! Hmm...I do recall having mixed feelings about that too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo! My mom tells me this all the time. You'll never be truly ready for anything, I guess. At some point you just have to do it. Great post, as always. Happy sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Sailing Allison! Cannot wait to hear how everything goes. What an amazing adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy, oh boy! How exciting?! And that is a great post. Incredibly applicable to your situation, but to many others too. I'm excited for you. Happy Sailing!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very great point about "waiting til you're ready". I don't think that day ever really exists.
    It was this way when I quit my job. I had done all the budgeting and all the planning I could, but in the end, I had no idea whether it would really work or not. Sometimes you just have to have a little faith :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...