Oct 10, 2013

never have I ever

When we first dreamed up the idea of living on a boat, I knew that there were going to be a lot of adjustments that we would need to make, and a lot of new experiences that we would need to adapt to.  Just a few days into living aboard, and I could go on forever with the "never have I ever" game.  But we'll just start with three.

Never have I ever...

...been so happy to see the sun not see rain.  The first day of rain was kind of a cozy thing, a good excuse to curl up with the pup and a blanket, a cup of something hot, and a good book.  But by the second day of rain, we were getting anxious to be able to cross something off of our to-do list.  Plus, everything seemed to be leaking (slight exaggeration), and we couldn't do anything about it except add to that to-do list. Also, I was really rethinking my decision to leave my Hunter boots behind.


...had so many neighbors.  I have never actually lived in a neighborhood or had actual neighbor, neighbors.  I never even lived in a dorm, so this whole marina thing, where there are always people walking by the boat and where there are five bathrooms for everyone to share... even this is new for me.  I would have given anything when I was younger to live in the same neighborhood as all of my friends.  I'm not sure that this is exactly the same sort of experience... but whatever, it's temporary and I guess I should appreciate the opportunity for socialization while I can get it!

yes, all of that stuff in the water... it's all dead fish.  welcome to your new home!
...seen so many dead fish.  Seriously guys, the smell is putrid.  They reek.  And the wind has been really strong this week.  Apparently, this time of year, these fish all come in from the ocean and wind up in this brackish water in such large groups that they suffocate themselves.  Gidget's just itching to get in there and... well I'm not sure what she thinks she would do, but she sure wants to get in there with them.  Hopefully they'll be moving along pretty soon.


Stinky fish and rain aside, we actually have been enjoying ourselves.  All of our belongings do indeed fit on the boat, it's beginning to feel more and more like home, and we're enjoying being in this together.  All we need is a few clear days to get some work done!

Linking up with Amanda today!
 

14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. Those are all dead fish!? Ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boats and Hunter boots should always go together!! All those dead fish, my goodness! I am sure once you set out to see you will cross a lot of Never Have's off your list, what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ew on the stinky fish! Thanks for sharing your fun list. how is living on a boat other than the fish smell?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lead such an exotic life! I hope you don't get very much more rain! Thanks for linking up :) I love reading everyone's lists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so fun! my old roomie grew up on a boat. what amazing memories!!!

    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? That's so cool! I had never known anyone (personally) that had done something like this before we started.

      Delete
  6. I would have never imagined you'd have neighbors while living on a boat! But I'm sure that will all change drastically when you're out to sea. (and away from those yucky fish!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Allison! I am new to your blog and totally blown away! So y'all are living on sail boat for how long? Where will your journey take you? I'm obsessed with this and can't wait to follow along and learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your list of never have I ever's is so exotic! What a crazy experience. I'm going to have to go back a few posts and read about why and how you came to be living on a boat!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well I don't know if I'd say "exotic," exactly. But it will certainly be interesting! :)

      Delete
  9. Your view looks BEAUTIFUL Allison! Definitely different from what I see when I look out the windows at my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a beautiful area! I actually would mind having a house, on land, somewhere around here.

      Delete
  10. What beauty around you, but the smell....ehhh...good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live out in the country, like you used to... I've got neighbors, sort of. I'm pretty sure I would have to do some major adjusting to get used to people being around and so close all the time. And the fish... ewwwwww.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...