Oct 8, 2013

old fashioned apple crisp


I was able to sneak in a quick trip to the apple orchard with my sister this past weekend before we moved onto the boat.  It was a good chance to spend a little bit of quality time with her, and um, my leather boots, before I left them both behind.  This of course, meant that some baking was also in order before I left.  We settled on The Barefoot Contessa's Old Fashioned Apple Crisp.  Perfect for dessert, breakfast, a midnight snack... you get the picture.

Filling:
5 pounds apples, peeled, cored and diced into wedges (I have no idea what kind we used, she recommends McIntosh or Macoun)
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Topping:
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, diced



Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ยบ F. Butter a 9x14 (or similar) baking dish.

Combine the ingredients for the filling, toss and pour into the baking dish.

For the topping, combine the ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer. With the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly. Scatter evenly over the apple filling.

Place a sheet pan under the baking dish and bake for 1 hour, or until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. I highly recommend serving it warm with a little dollop of vanilla ice cream.



I'm linking up with Jessica and Ashley today!


Also linking up with Chelsea and Stephanie for Kitchenspiration!
 

16 comments:

  1. Um, please mail me a bowl of this asap! This remind me of cobbler (kind of) and looks so so so good! Glad you linked up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I think I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner... looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhhh....Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth. Looks awesome! Stopping by from the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love apple crisp especially when using apples just picked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures! This looks so good! Linking up from Taste of Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. apple crisp is one of my faves! YUMMY! thanks for sharing, doll!
    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very delicious looking! And I like your floral top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just added this recipe to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, anything apple crisp or Barefoot Contessa related...I am IN!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm this looks divine!! I love a good fruit crisp...and fall is the perfect time of year for them! Thanks for sharing!

    And thanks for linking up to the Fresh Face Friday Blog Hop today! :) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh this looks delicious!
    I want to go to an apple orchard now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really really want to go apple picking sometime this month! This looks absolutely delicious and I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yummy!!!! I miss living in NY and apple picking! Thanks for linking up with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...