Oct 14, 2013

one week down

gray skies, but thankfully the rain let up this weekend
aha!  Totally caught in the act of whistling while building an anchor roller.  I told you it's nonstop.
a stroll through New Bern and this enchanting cemetary

One week of sailboat living down, 25 to go.  Give or take... who knows how many.  When you say it in term of weeks, it really doesn't sound like very long, does it?

Despite a lot of rain, and a little bit of grumpiness, we really managed to have a pretty good week.  I had wanted to get our stuff organized, get up close and personal with the kitchen, and learn to adjust my personal bubble to better fit in a small living space.  I'd have to say it was a pretty successful week on all accounts!  All of the stuff that we brought with us actually fits fairly well.  I've made some delicious dinners, with minimal difficulty, that I'm really looking forward to sharing on the blog.  And, Riley and I still like each other, so I'd say the personal bubble thing is going pretty well, too.  We also took some time to go in town and enjoy New Bern for a bit.

This week, my main wish is to wrap up all of our projects and get ready to actually leave the marina.  We have a few more things to take care of on the boat, and we also need to make a quick trip back to Virginia.  Riley was able to score a "cooler conversion kit" (basically, a refrigeration system, meaning that we won't have to keep lugging bags of ice onto the boat) on sale, so we have to go back and pick that up, as well as swap some of our stuff out of storage.  We had planned to make one trip back anyway, because we knew we wouldn't get it all right the first time.  After that, we'll stock up on any food and supplies that we need, and then... set sail!

How was your week and weekend? What are some of your goals for this week?

I'm linking up my post with weekly wishes and miscellany monday today!

 

18 comments:

  1. hey! well done you two! :)
    and I'm wishing you all the best luck for the upcoming week! :)
    and gosh - looking so much forward to see how the sailing will go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The not carry ice back and forth would be a total life saver I'm sure! Looks like you guys are doing great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great week (minus the totally understandable grumpiness :)! I can't believe you guys are so close to bidding things a fond boy voyage and can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great week, all things considered. I think this whole experience is really going to help me build up a tolerance to grumpiness, haha. :) Maybe a little bit, at least.

      Delete
  4. I like that cemetery picture. I wish gates were like that everywhere, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's smart to hang out in the marina for a week to see what you actually need and don't need. And great score on the refrigeration system...I'm sure that will be a very nice addition! I bet you're excited to Set Sail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's hard to believe it's already been a week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so amazing you two are living on a boat. There is a couple from my church doing the same thing. I am always so amazed by individuals who can do this. (I like my personal space too much). I can't wait to follow the two of you along on your trip. Good luck on your last few projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fantastic adventure - great reason to streamline!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to hear it was a great week overall (I would have been grumpy too). I am curious to see what you whip up in your small kitchen. Hope to see some recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, haha, it does make me feel a little better that someone else would have been grumpy as well. :) I don't want to take any part of this experience for granted, but sometimes things just get to you, you know?

      Delete
  10. Wow! What a great way to live life to the fullest - I'm inspired! Blessings to you, Allison! Have a wonderful week!

    xoxo,
    Allie @ Framed by God
    http://framedbygod.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the first week :-)! I can't wait to hear about your onboard meals. We just (finally) bought our little vintage camper, and while it will be a while before we're out on the road with it, I need some ideas for cooking in a mini-kitchen, and what appliances are must-haves/what I can do without as we're fixing her up...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go, Allison!!! Have you heard of Tiny House Blog? When you get everything in order you should submit some photos and maybe even a little story. People like you and your husband inspire others to live simply and appreciate the beauty in the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that being on a boat has been a positive experience for you so far! :) I can barely imagine what it must be like to live on a boat permanently, but it seems like you guys have had a blast so far. Good luck for this week and keep these updates coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eeeek! I'm still so stoked that I found your blog. Can't wait for y'all to "set sail" so I can follow your journey and live vicariously through you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, your adventure sounds so exciting! Looking forward to hearing about all of the places you see.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...